Saxophone Forum

by kennyz
(31 posts)
17 years ago

----- Key Clamps -----

Hello to everybody, is really a good thing to install the key clamps for Alto and Soprano? I've found LOTS of brands (and prices) but which is the best that work fine and NOT damage the finish? Installing tha clamps (expecially on the bell) need to change the case? Thanks for all suggestions

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Sax Mom
    (964 posts)

17 years ago

Re: ----- Key Clamps -----

I don't recommend key clamps. Clamping the keys shut during storage will keep all of the springs in higher tension, and any residual moisture stays inside the horn and on the pads. Save your money.

Reply To Post

1. by kennyz
      (31 posts)

17 years ago

Hello Mom, is the spring tension so high that can be broken? The regular use of a good swab should absorbe the moisture... I understand these matter but I've read also the benefits for the pads about leaks...are they true?

Reply To Post

1. by definition
        (963 posts)

17 years ago

Key clamps are impractical for everyday use. They can be effective for times when the horn will be left to sit for a long time or in its case for a long trip or shipping

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by kennyz
          (31 posts)

17 years ago

Indeed I had thought really for this... because I have, over that my "contemporary" sax, also other vintage horns and therefore happens that they don't play for long time but I would like to hold the pads in good form to avoid deformations Is the use of the clamps practicable for this? They don't ruin the satin silver finish making marks?

Reply To Post

2. by definition
          (963 posts)

17 years ago

no they dont ruin the finish. If by chance they do leave a mark you can simply polish it off. Whether or not it is practical is up to you. do you wanna go through the trouble of taking care of those?

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

3. by kennyz
          (31 posts)

17 years ago

I like to take care of my instruments... but since I have made to install professional (and expensive) pads, I don't want that them not seal well after a period (not years!! a few months) of stop

Reply To Post

4. by Sax Mom
          (964 posts)

17 years ago

I've never had much trouble with leaks, even when my horns have been in the case for months at a times, even without using key clamps. No, the higher tension should not cause the springs to break, but logic tells me that eventually, if held in higher tension for long periods of time, the springs would weaken, and you would not get as good response in the keys. This would likely be so slight as to be unnoticable, though. Using key clamps to seat the pad originally may be fine, but unless your tossing the case around with the horn inside, clamps should be unnecessary. Plus, I wonder if you might risk putting the horn OUT of adjustment if you install the clamps incorrectly. Swabbing three times after every use will take most of the moisture out of the horn, but some will remain. I wouldn't risk sealing that moisture inside with key clamps.

Reply To Post