Saxophone Forum

by Evan Freedman
(2 posts)
17 years ago

Is my "custom" mouthpiece really any good?

I bought my sax from Bob Ackerman in New Jersey a few years ago. It's a 1933 Conn 6m, the kind with the tuning neck, very absurd but great. Anyways, he sold me a "custom" mouthpiece to go along with it, one which he had made. He talked about the importance of the mouthpiece and how his mouthpieces were ideal for the instrument. yet sometimes I wonder whether his mouthpiece is really better than a manufactured mouthpiece. I notice that no reed on this planet fits the mouthpiece very well because it has an awkward shape at the tip that seems to be asymmetrical and off-center. Anyways, here is Ackerman's website: www.bobackermansaxophones.com please take a look at his page on his mouthpieces and let me know what you think.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Radjammin
    (255 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Is my "custom" mouthpiece really any good?

I'd like to help you with my limited knowlege but other going to his site and looking at his no named mouthpieces (I assume he made these?) I don't know what to tell you. All I can say a MPC that reeds don't sit properly on doesn't sound like a good situation.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by saxismyaxe
      (575 posts)

17 years ago

Bob Ackerman's "reproduction" mouthpieces have a good reputation in general, and are based off of time tested designs. Many mouthpieces have tip profiles that don't closely match that of every reed make. Many even have slimmer tables than the reeds themselves (I'm thinking Runyon Quantum Bari pieces for example), yet are stellar players. The bigger question is how does it play, feel and sound? Those are the areas where you should be concerned.

Reply To Post

1. by Evan Freedman
        (2 posts)

17 years ago

I like the sound, but sometimes I have trouble with control. I use a Vandoren ZZ 3.5 . I know the best solution is to try a couple of other mouthpieces, but I was just curious to hear your guys' opinion of Bob's mouthpieces. Thanks very much for responding so quickly!

Reply To Post

1. by saxismyaxe
          (575 posts)

17 years ago

You should sample a few different makes of reed and strengths, and see if that is where the control issue is derived.

Reply To Post