Saxophone Forum

by MarkLavelle
(300 posts)
17 years ago

Mouthpiece facing "quality"?

My dear wife got me a new Otto Link NY 6* metal (tenor) mouthpiece for xmas, and I'm wondering if the facing on it is really right. I'm good with the overall tone, but I'm having trouble with low notes and it doesn't pass the 'suction test' with a Vandoren Java 2.5 reed. My main mouthpiece to date has been a Vandoren Java T45 - which is nearly the same opening - so I don't think it's really an adjustment issue (yes, I realize the OLNY is narrower). As far as I can tell, the Java T45 and OLNY 6* facings are nearly identical, although the OLNY is slightly more sharply curved (what Vandoren might call a 'short' facing). I've been hanging out here long enough to know that some folks think new OL pieces have quality control issues, but I really can't see anything obviously wrong with this one. Can anyone give me some pointers on how to assess the quality of the facing on a mouthpiece? I don't mind getting it re-faced if that's what it really needs. I'd also be interested in any other thoughts about possiblecauses for my problems...

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by blackfrancis
    (396 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Mouthpiece facing "quality"?

Some Links do have facing issues. About the only way to know for sure is to measure it. Another potential trouble is a low spot on the table. For these kinds of problems, you might want to have a pro assess the situation. I recommend Ed Zentera- he's done some outstanding work on some of my pieces (including a metal Link). www.saxmaniax.com Regarding other sources of your problem, I can say that I've tried Javas on my Links and couldn't get them to work well at all. ZZs and V16s were OK, and it seems the best of the lot for me were Rico orange box (gasp!).

Reply To Post