Saxophone Forum

by bleeding-gums
(5 posts)
17 years ago

metal mouthpieces for alto?

hi i have been playing saxophone for around 10 months, but i feel as though i am getting above the current yamaha mouthpiece i have, and my teacher has said that getting a new mouthpiece will help my tone/playing etc. there have been 4 mouthpieces i have been looking at num 1. Bari gold for alto. num 2. otto link metal for alto. num. 3 ebonite meyer 5, and lastly ebonite otto link. i would love to get a metal mouthpiece, mainly because of the gleaming good looks, but i have seen alot of negative comments against metal mouthpieces for alto so i am a little baffled of what to get. i am into hard bop jazz, soul jazz, bebop, blues and a little latin jazz thxs for your time, comments will be appreciated.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by bleeding-gums
    (5 posts)

17 years ago

Re: metal mouthpieces for alto?

oh and if anyone can give me the link of a place where you can buy a new york meyer mouthpiece it would be appreciated

Reply To Post

2. by The Insomniac Saxman
    (141 posts)

17 years ago

Since you've only been playing about 10 months, I'd say forget about dropping the bread on a NY Meyer. For what you're looking to do, just pick up a Meyer 5M or 6M . . . they have a pure round chamber and very little baffle which will be good for the development of your fundamentals. Also, realize that asthetics should not be the factor that influences your decision on musical equipment-- the "gleaming good looks" of a mouthpiece will not guarantee the desired effect for your playing. Along the same lines, there are plenty of beautiful looking horns that play poorly and plenty of ugly horns that play spectacular. Work on solid fundamentals with a good pure mouthpiece, and you'll be far ahead of the game. Best of luck!

Reply To Post

1. by bleeding-gums
      (5 posts)

17 years ago

thxs for ur advice, but u've got to understand that i am not one of ur ordinary 10 month players lol, i play alot of serious stuff, but as u said a meyer would be good, but i dont understand is a new york meyer harder to play? and are metal mouthpieces completely out of the question?

Reply To Post

1. by Donnie The B
        (282 posts)

17 years ago

The reason the old Saxman said that, is that an old time NY Meyer is an expensive mouthpiece - and found only used. Vintage Meyers are in huge demand from alto guys especially. The stock new Meyers are good, but are machine finished. You can get a hand finished hard rubber piece from Patrick Springer at springermpc.com for around $100-$135 for a pro model. He will also advise you on what mouthpiece to buy based on telling him about yourself through a link on his website. Tell him the truth, and you will like his mouthpiece. If he recommends a large roll-over baffle however, I'd still order a small roll-over or straight baffle if I were you. The reason for this will become apparent to you later, but suffice it to say that if you start using a hot-rodded piece now, you might not develop properly. Incidently, by the time I had been playing for 6 years, I'd been on TV with my bands, made enough to file income tax returns as a high schooler, recorded several times and had gigs an average of twice a month, even during school. So I started thinking I was really good, and quit practicing much and quit my private lessons. Therefore my development stopped, my playing suffered, and I did not progress until I was out of college and realized I had much to learn yet. Unfortunately by then my excellent private teacher had passed away. But his lessons survived and I struggled forward. So don't be too quick to consider yourself good enough. - - - - - - - Good Luck.

Reply To Post

1. by CountSpatula
          (602 posts)

17 years ago

10 months seem real soon to switch lol. Anyway, for alto I agree with Insomniac a Meyer is a great place to start out. And man Donnie, you must really be diggin' your Springer mouthpiece :-)

Reply To Post AIM