Saxophone Forum

by saxy4u
(2 posts)
17 years ago

Cleaning mpc

This is embarassing for me since I have been playing sax for 45+ years, but, I just recently decided to start taking better care of my equipment. I still play my Conn Naked Lady that I bought brand new in 1959. What is the best method for cleaning up mouth pieces? I don't want to scrape the crud off any more. I would like to have a better method to soak them clean. I use metal, rubber and composite. Can you help?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by newreedsyndrome
    (343 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Cleaning mpc

I put my mouthpieces in a glass of about 90% warm water and 10% vinegar and let them soak for 45 minutes to an hour. Then all I really need to do is wipe them out with a paper towel and they're squeaky clean. You might want to give them an extra rinse to get rid of the vinegar taste.

Reply To Post

2. by The Insomniac Saxman
    (141 posts)

17 years ago

Soak the mouthpiece in a bowl or glass of straight white vinegar overnight and that will break down all the calcium deposits. Then wash it out with dish soap before you play on it.

Reply To Post

3. by sax buddah
    (4 posts)

17 years ago

hydrogen peroxide bubbles the junk away.

Reply To Post

1. by jushden
      (17 posts)

17 years ago

just putting this out there... hydrogen peroxide will eat away at hard rubber mouthpieces. never use this on rubber mouthpieces. also, use stuff like cotton swabs, q-tips, something soft to wipe the inside away. dont use a toothbrush if you were thinking that might be a good idea. just putting it out there.

Reply To Post

4. by Tranesyadaddy
    (279 posts)

17 years ago

Half a cup of vinegar, (I used brown vinegar just now cos that's all I could find) (does anyone know if that matters) plus half a cup of hot water will do the trick in about twenty minutes.

Reply To Post