Saxophone Forum

by miramarsax
(14 posts)
17 years ago

ligature

I am trying to find a ligature that will giive me a dark tone for concert band. and another lig. for jazz band. can andybody reccomend any lig.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by cfbugsbunny
    (1 post)

17 years ago

Re: ligature

Any of the Rovner Ligatures are good and not too expensive. I use both a Rovner Mark III and a Rovner Dark. The Dark I use for jazz and the Mark III I use for orchestra. For under $20 apiece they are worth a try.

Reply To Post

1. by CountSpatula
      (602 posts)

17 years ago

asdjf;zfv A ligature isn't going to give you a dark sound just like that. You realize that the dark sound comes from YOU not the ligature? Rovners will only take just a tiny bit of edge off the sound, the rest comes from you.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by mrmeyer00
        (11 posts)

17 years ago

I sort of agree and disagree with this one. In my opinion, a lot of how you sound does come directly from you, but on the other hand, I own like 4 ligatures.....the francois luis, charles bay, olegature, and a standard rovner. The luis I find to be extremely bright to the point where I almost can't play on it anymore, while the charles bay is very very dark. The olegature, which I use the most, seems to be right in between somewhere. So my advice would be to experiment....if you have the money, buy a few different ones, and make recordings of yourself playing on each. Then listen to them and decide which sound you like the best.

Reply To Post

1. by CountSpatula
          (602 posts)

17 years ago

Totally different experience here...be it two-screw, olegature, or francois louis lig, it sounded the same to me and on recordings...

Reply To Post AIM

2. by barisax999
        (400 posts)

17 years ago

try a BG traditional. i really like it for playing legit and its the choice of many of the top pro legit players. but i good ligature will not, by itself make you a darker player, it takes a lot of work to remove all the buzz and get a pure dark tone.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM