After months of searching for

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by definition
    (963 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Just got a new alto and metal mouthpiece

1) these notes are going to be harder because of the design of the mouthpiece. The high baffle in the tip makes the high register easier but the low end harder. 2) same problem as #1 3) Some people like the smaller/larger size feel in the mouth. Its a personal choice, you either get used to it or get another piece! problems one and two can be mostly controlled but not completely alleviated by practicing an efficient airstream. I would suggest trying a rubber Dukoff or a Runyon Quantum or another similar alto mpc. They should be easier to control and still offer the bright sound like the Dukoff

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by CountSpatula
    (602 posts)

17 years ago

Softer reed would help all 3 of those problems in my opinion... Plus a Dukoff? Metal isn't making the brightness, the extremely high baffle is. Not to mention some dukoffs arn't known for being made that well. And hopefully your not using the Dukoff in a Jazz Band because it's going to be near impossible to blend in...

Reply To Post AIM

1. by rachel92491
      (28 posts)

17 years ago

yo tengo jugo el saxophone? y yo! i heard the 62II were pretty good, its one of the horns I am looking to buy for a replacement in concert. i am currently playing on a poor quality bundy, trying playing jazz on that especially the antigua winds mouthpiece i use, none by choice. all by conveince

Reply To Post

1. by mjohnnie
        (66 posts)

17 years ago

The count has it right. Softer reed, maybe only down one notch will help. In addition, you may need to take more mouthpiece than you're used to. Many times, if the mouthpiece is more open than you're used to, the tendency is to tighten the embouchure to close off the reed to match what you're used to.

Reply To Post

2. by newreedsyndrome
        (343 posts)

17 years ago

You said, in Spanish, 'I have juice the saxophone? And I!' I think what you meant to say was, 'Toca usted el saxofon? Yo tambien!' or, 'Tiene usted un saxofon? Yo tambien!' I think by 'jugo', you meant 'I play', but jugar means to play as in a game. For an instrument, you would use the verb 'tocar'. If you meant 'I have to play the saxophone', you would say 'Tengo que tocar...' as tener can not be followed by an infinitave. While 'y yo' is gramatically correct, it is not commonly said. Usually, people say 'yo tambien'. Also, you need to conjugate verbs correctly. If you're talking about/to someone you don't really know, or an adult, you say 'usted tiene' for you have. If you are asking 'Do you have?', it's switched; 'Tiene usted?'. And technically, since you're not sure they have, you should use the subjunctive form of tener, and say 'Tenga usted?'

Reply To Post

1. by newreedsyndrome
          (343 posts)

17 years ago

Not that this is a Spanish forum...

Reply To Post

3. by saxmannwmsu
        (48 posts)

17 years ago

To get back on the subject, a softer reed will help you out. I'd stay away from the Javas and try out a nice Rico Jazz Select Unfiled. Try out a 2H or 3S and see what that does. It could also be that you're just not used to the tip opening. Going from something like a Meyer 5 to a Dukoff D7 is a nice little jump and it will take a good bit more air to hit your lower notes now. SO, more air + softer reed + a little time adjusting=no more problems!

Reply To Post AIM

1. by CountSpatula
          (602 posts)

17 years ago

Hay hay hay now wait up what's wrong with Javas? David Sanborn uses them on his Dukoff and doesn't seem like there's any problems.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by saxmannwmsu
            (48 posts)

17 years ago

Nothing personal, just simple personal preference. I've tried Java's a few times and never really favored them. Rico Jazz just seem easier to play on for me.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by yotengotenor
              (29 posts)

17 years ago

well i can definitely go out and get a softer couple of each. though im not too confident that the local music store sells rico jazz. It's mostly vandoren products and the most basic rico reed they make. just the same, ill see what i can get in a 2 1/2, or the equivalent for whatever reed. Thanks everyone for your helpful responses! And to whoever few were speaking spanish earlier... Me gusta tocar el saxofon mucho. Prefiero el tenor, pero no tengo problemas con mi alto nuevo! Yo aprecio toda la gente que trate de hablar espa?ol porque yo necesito practicar mis abilidades. (Hopefully my few years of crappy high school spanish hasn't butchered that statement. despite the username, im not hispanic, nor am i fluent in any way).

Reply To Post

2. by CountSpatula
              (602 posts)

17 years ago

Reeds are reeds haha...the local musc store here has most reeds except alexanders but they're like $40 a box! I can order them here at saxquest for like $20 including shipping...

Reply To Post AIM