I was wondeing if anybody knew

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by newreedsyndrome
    (343 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Kenny Garrett's Gear

I'm pretty sure Kenny Garett uses a Mark VI, but I'm not sure about the serial number range it's in. He uses a Selmer Soloist mouthpiece (F, I think) and a Brillhart triple band ligature (the SUPER expensive kind; they go for like $1200 on Ebay, for a LIGATURE). Not sure about reeds.

Reply To Post

1. by miramarsax
      (14 posts)

17 years ago

I thought he played on a dukoff d7 mouthpiece and a rovner lig.

Reply To Post

1. by newreedsyndrome
        (343 posts)

17 years ago

WHAT? With a somewhat nasal, dark tone? Maybe you were thinking of David Sanborn...

Reply To Post

2. by barisax999
        (400 posts)

17 years ago

im pretty sure its a soloist as well.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by saxskillzyamaha
      (52 posts)

17 years ago

It's definately not a rovner, i think it is a brillhart triple-band lig as well

Reply To Post

1. by Seano
        (132 posts)

17 years ago

I have seen Mr. Garrett playing on a metal piece with a rovner lig on an earlier video of him with Miles.

Reply To Post

3. by jschuth
      (10 posts)

17 years ago

I saw Kenny a couple of weeks ago at Iridium in NYC with Pharaoh Sanders. I talked to him after the first set. He's still playing a soloist F on a Mark VI. By-the-way, those triple band ligatures do not go for $1200...who makes up this stuff? (besides someone trying to sell one on e-bay)

Reply To Post

1. by saxskillzyamaha
        (52 posts)

17 years ago

they go for like 800......

Reply To Post

1. by GregLauer
          (37 posts)

17 years ago

Kenny Garrets set up is as follows Selmer Mark VI 140xxx- known for their power brightness and projection Vintage Selmer Soloist short shank size F (or about a 90)-, but i am sure that it has been worked on....most vintage pieces need work, and are only bought because the rubber has aged, and resonates better Vintage Brillhart Triple band ligature metal and plastic ligature he uses Fredrick Hemke reeds by Rico if you cant afford the vintage selmer soloists then i suggest buying a reissue, they run about 120 and are very nice i played on both until i broke the re issue whoops...... if you like kenny garret, pick up both "Tom Harrell moon alley" and "roy haynes tribute to charlie parker" also look into dick oatts' records they are killer as well!!!

Reply To Post

1. by jushden
            (17 posts)

17 years ago

when i was working at a vintage shop in la kenny garrett was looking for those super old regular ricos in any size. not the ones in the orange boxes but the ones in the whiteish boxes from way back in the day. i think he was buying up all that he could in every city. nuts... i agree that the selmer reissue alto soloists are good pieces and you should check those out.

Reply To Post