Hey guys, just lookin' for a g

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by cuber
    (653 posts)

16 years ago

Re: Good Intermediate - Pro Alto Saxes

if your looking for a intermediate horn, the YAS 475 is worth giving a blow, its got the keywork of a 62 and its cheaper than the 23, by wwbw's prices, anyway

Reply To Post

2. by CountSpatula
    (602 posts)

17 years ago

When you ask questions like this, your going to get several different opinions. So in all honesty if you want to find a good horn for you, you should really try to find a store and play on as many horns as you can (Cannonball, Yamaha, Keilwerth, Yanagisawa, Selmer, P. Mauriat) OTOH, P. Mauriats are great horns and I think they're worth the money, but I wouldn't choose the 76 over the 67R model...just my opinion :)

Reply To Post AIM

1. by ForeverOptimistic
      (11 posts)

17 years ago

Thanks Count, Bari and NRS, today I got my gold lacquered System 76 Alto, and let me say it was wonderful. I went to band rehearsal waiting for UPS to deliver the horn and when I came back I found the horn in front of my door. So opened the case, and this beautiful horn was simply beautiful (physically speaking). From the flowerly engraving to the phony advertising (P. Mauriat: Paris New York London), the horn was beautiful. Picked up the horn and the first thing I noticed was the very soft (how to describe it,) round tone the System 76 that my YAS-23 didn't. The tone was simply ROUNDER. Next thing I noticed was the intonation was good (Hitting the marks)! Which is really really weird considering it was right out of the box (so to speak). A few other small pros was the mouthpiece and ligature that the PM came with were so much better than the crappy Yamaha ones, but that's a small thing. One thing that I really really was annoyed by was the P. Mauriat's ergonomics. Maybe I was too used to the YAS-23, but the C# keys had very very little space to press down, and the thumb hook was a tad too low. Besides that the horn was great. System 76, P Mauriat, you've made me a fan.

Reply To Post

1. by CountSpatula
        (602 posts)

17 years ago

Give it a bit of practice and I'm sure you'll forget about those problems...

Reply To Post AIM

2. by barisax999
      (400 posts)

17 years ago

if you just are looking for an intermediate horn, make sure you take your 23 with you to try new horns. play it side by side with the others. also, make sure your 23 is in good adjustment. you may find that it is not worth the money to upgrade for the subtle differences that you'll see

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by ForeverOptimistic
        (11 posts)

17 years ago

Yeah guys, shoulda mentioned this in my original post sorry. In my part of the Bay Area, I can't find any good music stores that allow me a vast amount of choices (for example they are mostly music stores that specialize in piano books; at most they have YAS-23s and a Selmer in a case that they aren't willing to open). If anyone knows of any good music stores in the Bay Area (maybe up in San Francisco or Hayward or Fremont) that allow for a vast choices of saxes, it would be nice. Thanks for responses guys I appreciate it. I'm fine with many responses, because as for right now, I'm simply searching for ideas.

Reply To Post

1. by newreedsyndrome
          (343 posts)

17 years ago

Wwbw has free shipping with a 45 day trial period if you can front the money.

Reply To Post

2. by ForeverOptimistic
        (11 posts)

17 years ago

Yeah Count, I was at first considering the 67R, but then I read the reviews about how the 67 doesn't give as focused a sound (very classical where all the tones are very very blended) compared to the 76 which (supposedly) gives a contemporary focused sound.

Reply To Post

1. by CountSpatula
          (602 posts)

17 years ago

The 67R just seemed to have a bigger, fuller sound but was on the darker side (which I prefer). They both played really well though, and if I didn't have the horn I have now I would be happy with either one of them.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by ForeverOptimistic
            (11 posts)

17 years ago

Kay thanks to all....really appreciate it...I think I'm actually leaning towards the 76 because it's around $500 cheaper than the 67R (as far as I've seen)....I'm thinking about buying from an online store called Woodsy's, has anybody heard of them/ know if they are trustworthy?

Reply To Post

2. by CountSpatula
            (602 posts)

17 years ago

Never heard of Woodsy's, don't know about them. I know Scimonetti is a great shop, they have the 67R and the 76 but the 76 is more expensive...www.scimonetti.com/index.php?manufacturers_id=7

Reply To Post AIM

3. by ForeverOptimistic
            (11 posts)

17 years ago

Yah my bad, Woodsy's actually not specificallyl online. It's a store in Ohio that happens to have a website and is willing to ship. My bad.

Reply To Post

4. by ForeverOptimistic
            (11 posts)

17 years ago

www.woodsys.com That's the website. Can anyone tell me if these online stores can be trustworthy?

Reply To Post

5. by CountSpatula
            (602 posts)

17 years ago

Can't say I've ever heard of them. Again I'd trust www.Scimonetti.com they've got a great reputation...up to you

Reply To Post AIM

6. by ForeverOptimistic
            (11 posts)

17 years ago

Yah man thanks, probably gonna get a P. Mauriat in this month or so. Thanks, I'll keep you guys updated on how it goes.

Reply To Post

7. by trahansax
            (16 posts)

17 years ago

I am actually a P. Mauriat Artist/clinician, I have two system 76's and I love them both. You are correct when you say that the 67r does not have a centered or focused tone, but what it does have is the sounds of the vintage horns that are pre VI. It does have an extremely warm Phat sound to it, and it is a great horn. The system 76 does have a very centered tone to it the sound is really focused and it does sing. I suggest that you go and try them out side by side and see which one you prefer better. Good Luck, let me know if you have any questions. [email protected]

Reply To Post