Mouthpiece for Art Pepper-like

I am looking to get an Art Pep

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by mjohnnie
    (66 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Mouthpiece for Art Pepper-like sound?

Ralph Morgan makes some super pieces that are relatively inexpensive. Junkdude handles his pieces www.junkdude.com

Reply To Post

1. by CMelodyMan77
      (26 posts)

17 years ago

Yes I've been looking at the Morgan pieces for quite some time. Do you have any experience with them? Which would you recommend. I know the quality is fantastic. I have dealt with Dave at JunkDude before...great guy. Thanks.

Reply To Post

1. by blackfrancis
        (396 posts)

17 years ago

I think a Morgan would get you in the ballpark. I use an 8M on alto. It has a nice warm sound, gets good volume when pushed, and will take a lot of air.

Reply To Post

1. by CMelodyMan77
          (26 posts)

17 years ago

Thanks for the info. What about the facing, and reeds. I was thinking at least a 3.5, but I'll probably just have to experiment...

Reply To Post

2. by CMelodyMan77
          (26 posts)

17 years ago

I mean 3.5 for the reed strength. Don't you think an 8 is a little to open, I was thinking like a 6 or maybe even lower. Art used a 6.

Reply To Post

3. by mjohnnie
          (66 posts)

17 years ago

I think a 6M would be great, unless your going for a brighter sound, which would indicate an Excaliber. If you want to use a stiff reed, you definitely need to have a closer tip, however.

Reply To Post

2. by swingstreet
        (315 posts)

17 years ago

Art Pepper played a The Martin alto, which I have, and I use a Meyer 5M on it, and that seems to get that kind of sound. To me, Art was somewhere between Lee Konitz and Paul Desmond. Of course, people can disagree with me on that, but that's how I hear his sound.

Reply To Post