Saxophone Forum

by mkprkr
(2 posts)
20 years ago

Mk vii or new selmer 54

I own a Vintage selmer mk vii tenor and have heard that many players prefer the new reference 54 sax. My tenor has 98% of it's lacquer and only one or two pea sized dents and is definetly worth something. I was wondering if it would make sense to sell it and get a 54 with the money

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by wildman
    (12 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Mk vii or new selmer 54

I did just that. I've had a terrific mark vii for 25 years and I sprung for a new ref 54 over a year ago. It's the best horn ever. If at all possible, keep your mark vii and aquire a ref 54. I had metal resonators installed when the horn was injured in an auto accident. 4 months later it came back better than ever.

Reply To Post

2. by The Insomniac Saxman
    (141 posts)

17 years ago

Have you ever A-B'ed the horns back-to-back? Newer isn't necessarily better, and I know a number of fellow pros who have had killer VIIs . . . as with everything, there are variances within model types, so there will be good VIIs as well as bad VIIs just as there are good 54s and bad 54s. If you like your VII, then hold on to it. If you don't like it, then it's up to you what to do with it. I've played through about 16 different 54s and only found 2 that I liked (I liked the 36 better), however my backup tenor is a vintage Couf Superba (I normally play on a MK VI 122,xxx) and I thought it smoked the new Selmers . . . again, it's all about what works best for you. Best of luck!

Reply To Post

3. by chiamac
    (586 posts)

20 years ago

no, there is a good quote out there... "a copy of a beautyfull thing no matter how nice is ugly. " you have the original, a classic, why replace that with something meant to copy it? (that quote is from Lupon the 3rd, a carton on cartoon networks adult swim, good show)

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by chiamac
      (586 posts)

20 years ago

or am I getting 6 and 7 confused... whatever... it's party time. *if I am confused... you have to ask yourself a few things. 1) do you like you're horn the way it is? 2) do you have the money to spend on a new one? 3) is it worth it? for me... I love my 10M and wouldn't trade it for anything. I never had more than $1500 to spend on saxes, my parents did support me, but they would never go for a new selmer. is it worth it? here is how I place value on something. for example... my 10M playes like a new series 3 selmer. Yes a selmer may be better, but not by much. So what would I gain by switching? Yes, there would be a improvment, but a slight one. Now I only payed about $100 for my 10M, and I would pay easily 3 times that for a selmer, and about $2000 once I sell my old one. Now is a little improvement worth $2000? NO! It would be a waste of resources I could put in other places. now ask yourself this? If you like and are happy with your current horn, would it be worth selling it and getting a new one? Would it be worth the $1000 or so for that little improvement?

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by golferguy675
      (600 posts)

20 years ago

Ditto. What a source for a quote....It works though!

Reply To Post

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
        (767 posts)

20 years ago

The premise of this thread is subjective. Personally, I really didn't like the Ref54 tenor all that much. I played a well-worn seven that I thought was a better horn, you may find differently. Try out a 54 and see if you prefer it.

Reply To Post

1. by BobD
          (2 posts)

20 years ago

Keep the VII. Don't believe what everyone says about the VII it's a great horn. Much better horn than any reference horn. Take it from me. I had a Ref36,Series III and 3 VI's. This VII is the best horn I've ever played.

Reply To Post

2. by johnsonfromwisconsin
          (767 posts)

20 years ago

personally, I'd take that Ref36 over anything else, but that's just me.

Reply To Post

3. by BobD
          (2 posts)

20 years ago

Have you actually compared a Ref36 to a VII or a VI? I have played 3 ref36's and 2 Ref54's(one was totally rebuilt) and the VII is a much better horn than both. Not that the ref horns are bad but a good VII is a great horn.

Reply To Post

4. by johnsonfromwisconsin
          (767 posts)

20 years ago

I agree. I tried a VII one time and thought it was killer, as good in response as the late Ser# VI I also tried the same day. I liked the VI a tiny bit better, but the VII was half the price of that and the Ref 54 tenor, which I didn't particularily like, that I also played. I play tested a 36 at a later date and I can probably say I liked that particular 36 better than any horn I've ever tried. From what I hear, the VII's were quite inconsistant, and many found the keywork uncomfortable for smaller hands. They can either be great, or mediocre. If you find a good one, a VII can be one of the best bargain horns. Some say the earliest ones were pretty much all very good, but sporatic after the first couple years. YMMV

Reply To Post

5. by pri_nce33
          (7 posts)

18 years ago

The reference 54 was not a copy of the mark 7. It's some what of a copy of the mark 6, but only in body tube only. The bore of the body tube is exactly like the mark 6 and the bow of the reference 54 is a bit enlarged to give it a bit bigger lower end. The reference is like the mark 6 in body tube ONLY however. Keywork, tone hole size, tone hole location is all current selmer design. The mark 7 was a great horn in it's ealier years. But for some reason as time went on they got worse and worse. There are many ideas why they got bad. In my opinion it was the factories became mordernized and good handcraftmen ship was thrown out for cheap machine work. I've played a few mark 7's and found the earlier ones are much better. I've worked on later ones and seen tone holes that look like pringles. The bore of the mark 7 is bigger than the mark 6, which gave it in my opinion a squawky lower end a whinny higher end. I own and play on a ref 54 and love it. You just have to get by on selmers outrageous pricing and poor craftmanship. When I got it I took it to the shop I work at and had it totally dissasembled and did a total over haul on it and even had to order a part that the factory didn't put on. Modern day factories just don't have good tech people to work on then anymore and the way they are build and the materials factories use today is nothing compared to what was used to make the older horns. I love my ref 54, its the best playing horn I've played on. All in all its about what you want and what feels good to you. Play on the horn before you buy it and make your own judgement for your self.

Reply To Post

6. by sultanofsax
          (31 posts)

17 years ago

I have a '79 MK 7 and i love it, best horn i have played to date. I played a brand new, i saw them un wrap it, Ref 54 in reno, and that horn was junk. At the time, i also had a Japaneese Vito, another great great student horn, and if werent for the actual money value, i would have not traded that Vito for the Ref. 54 ever. I have heard great things about the Ref's and bad things as well. I love my 7, even thought it is supposedly a bad ser. #, 270,XXX. It is an awesome horn with great tone, intonation, and feel. 7's are a great horn for the money, way under-rated in my opinion.

Reply To Post