Saxophone Forum

by runandwrite
(7 posts)
11 years ago

What a difference a mouthpiece makes

I've only been back to alto-sax playing a couple of months and had just been using the mouthpiece that came with the horn. Today I decided to visit the music store to see about upgrading.

I have to admit that I was skeptical about whether it would really make a difference. Much as I enjoy playing, my tone hasn't been what I'd hoped, but was the problem really my mouthpiece, or was it just me?

Well, they let me try out a couple at the store. I'd always wanted to try a metal mouthpiece, but found that the one they let me try was just too difficult to get a sound out of. Then I tried a Meyer 6M alto-sax mouthpiece and could see the difference with the first note. For the first time since picking up the horn again, I felt like I was in control of the instrument, easily able to adjust the tone to get the sound I wanted.

Glad I decided to do this -- I'm going to enjoy playing a lot more now.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Saxquest
    (420 posts)

11 years ago

Re: What a difference a mouthpiece makes

Congratulations! You're absolutely correct. A good mouthpiece can make all the difference. Give me a good mouthpiece and any cheap student model saxophone (so long as its working) and I could go out and play just about any professional gig. However, give me a top professional saxophone paired with a cheap plastic mouthpiece and forget it.

I've always said that the mouthpiece is at least 75% of the equpiment equation. I hope you continue to enjoy playing for a long time to come!!!

Cheers,
         Mark Overton
         www.saxquest.com

Reply To Post