Saxophone Forum

by NateTheGuy
(3 posts)
9 years ago

Do mouthpieces work on all or most Tenors?

So I'm relativley new to Saxs, because I normally play Bass Clarinet and I joined our school jazz band, and my band teacher suggested I should play Tenor because Bass Clarinets are not really jazz material, right now I'm looking at vintage Conns and Bueschers, but the King Super 20 caught my attention. I could be able to get a King Super 20 cheap, but without a mouthpiece. So that leads to my question:

Do ANY Tenor Saxophone mouthpieces work on ANY or MOST Tenor saxophones? Even if I don't end up getting the King Super 20, it should still help in the hunt.

Also, Metal or Plastic? For Jazz and occasional other concert or theme songs.

Thanks,
~Nate

PS If any of you guys have suggestions for which relativley cheap sax to get, I'd be open. Perferably vintage too, or even silver ;) Non Low Pitch though. 

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Blake_Thiel
    (8 posts)

9 years ago

Re: Do mouthpieces work on all or most Tenors?

All tenor mouthpieces will work on a tenor but some will sound better than others. Reeds will effect your sound a lot as well. I would recomend going to your local music store like sam ash or music and arts and just asking to try mouthpieces. Meyer, Beechler, Berg Larsen, Otto Link, Dukoff, Theo Wanne, Jody Jazz, Vandoren, Brilhart, and Peter Ponzol are all great brands. When it comes to material I would start with Hard Rubber then move to metal IF you can hold a good sound. I just recently switched to tenor for my jazz combo from alto as well and I have like 5 different pieces that I've had the oppurtunity to try with the tenor that I'm borrowing. I tried all five when I first started playing and could only get a good sound out of one (it was a Hard Rubber Cannonball). Now that I've had some more pracitce I can get a good sound out of all of them. Remember the main source of your sound is you. Remeber to use plenty of air and a loose embrochure. Anyway have fun with it!

EDIT: When looking at old used/vintage saxes make sure that they're in playing condition and if it isn't consider the money need to have it repaired.

Reply To Post

1. by NateTheGuy
      (3 posts)

9 years ago

Thanks for the information, if you know the cheapest, good/great, beginner mouthpiece, please tell me! I'll still be searching with the brands you said, but I don't want to spend more than $75 if possible, since the sax itself is somewhat expensive...

Thanks,
      Nate 

Reply To Post

1. by kelsey
        (930 posts)

9 years ago

Nate, Rico has some inexpensive tenor mouthpieces and I've heard they are supriseingly good.

Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM