Saxophone Forum

by jazz625
(12 posts)
20 years ago

Gary Sugal Mouthpieces

Has anyone got a Custom Sugal mouthpiece? What is the finish like? The finish being the baffle and chamber? Thanks.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxdays
    (1 post)

18 years ago

Re: Gary Sugal Mouthpieces

I really love my tenor Super Gonz2 mpc for more than 10 Years and its still my no1 mpc. I dont use the sugal ligature and never had any problem

Reply To Post

2. by jazz625
    (12 posts)

20 years ago

I guess that means no one has a Sugal Mouthpiece? Never mind.

Reply To Post

1. by Spike
      (248 posts)

20 years ago

well i haven't tried a custom, but i quite like the super gonz 1

Reply To Post

3. by Hardbopsax
    (2 posts)

19 years ago

I had Gary make a Super Gonz I copper mouthpiece size 8 facing for me a few years ago. I must admit at first I was very leery about it. I had tried his SG II copper from the WWBW and it was a great mpc. but way too bright for my taste. After I ordered and received the custom piece I was skeptical. The interior chamber looked like he took a metal etcher/engraver pen to it. It was scratched up. As it turns out that was his "finishing touch" to the inside of the mouthpiece. I used it for a while and I never really cared for it because it played rather stuffy and it was finicky with reeds. About a month ago I met another person who was using the same mouthpiece as mine only his was a lot older (it looked like a penny since all the gold plating wore off). He played my piece and showed me a different way to attach the ligature. This made all the difference in the world. It's like playing a different mouthpiece. It's very freeblowing and every reed I've used works well with it. I was actually going to sell it but now I never will. It also bumped it up in status to my main piece (my Guardala Crescent being my new back-up piece) Enough about my story. The baffle is textured with lines that start from the tip and extend to the chamber. I really can't testify weather this is really necessary or if it sets his pieces apart from the rest. All I know is that my piece plays beautifully. Like a Link only not nearly as stuffy and a bit brighter. It's capable of whispering sub tones all over the horn at pp especially the low end as well as blasting the paint off the wall at fff. Altissimo are easy to pop out and the 1st altissimo G and A are usually stuffy on my horn but with the Sugal Mpc they sound full and tonally consistent with the front (fork) F and E in the normal range. I paid a pretty penny for this piece but after a new found interest, it was well worth the price. I will never sell it. Sorry to go on a rant like this but I am long winded sometimes

Reply To Post

1. by davidorozco
      (2 posts)

18 years ago

I have a KWII and have the same problem you had , can you help me telling me what is the right way to attach the ligature , thank

Reply To Post

1. by cliffking
        (1 post)

18 years ago

I recently purchased a sugal KWII and like others i was not happy about the price and buying based on sight unseen. But i spoke to gary sugal and also wrote Kirk Whalum himself to get first hand info on the mouthpiece. Needless to say I am one happy saxman. This mpc is everything and then some. I have a vandoren v16 t75 metal, berg largen 110/0 and various other top of line mpc but this one is the only one I'll ever need. I've been playing jazz and gospel for over 30 years and i know what a tenor horn should sound like, and my Yamaha 62 sounds like the horn it was crafted to be. I don't advise spending big bucks for equipment if you're not serious about your craft. But for those who are the KWII answers those "wonder will this one work for the price i'm paying" questions. Lastly I found this mpc to work great with a 2 1/2 or 3 Vandoren Jazz ZZ reed

Reply To Post

2. by jazzkid
        (2 posts)

18 years ago

Reply To Post

3. by jazzkid
        (2 posts)

18 years ago

I don't really know but you can find gary's email at his site. P.S. Do you know what the best alto sax is for altissimo is , I'm new to the sit and can't figure out how to ask questions

Reply To Post

1. by CountSpatula
          (602 posts)

18 years ago

Altissimo has to do more with your mouth than it does with your horn...practice practice practice.=)

Reply To Post AIM

2. by bigred
          (43 posts)

18 years ago

altissamo has little to do with mouth. its about opening up ur throats and cupping your tounge. clamping down on the reed will only get you so far.

Reply To Post

3. by CountSpatula
          (602 posts)

18 years ago

Sorry, I have no idea why I said mouth...

Reply To Post AIM

4. by leebo
        (1 post)

17 years ago

Hello! I just got a Super Gonz II. How were you taught to put on the ligature a different way. I'd really like to know. i'm getting kinda leary about the mouthpiece after only 3 days. If I knew how to put the ligature on differently or another ligature I could use, I may end of getting what I want out of the mouthpiece. Lee

Reply To Post

5. by madmerrills
        (1 post)

19 years ago

A bit late to reply to this post, but.... what was the "different way" to attache your ligaure to the Sugal. I really like the range of tones on mine, but his built in lig on the bottom doesn't quite work for me, also sometimes actually 'squeaks'. Been playing for 30 years, so not accustomed to that problem. I'm a rubber H.Couf 9* guy for most performances as a result, but would love to make the Sugal work better.

Reply To Post

1. by aholloway17
          (5 posts)

19 years ago

Sorry, another late reply. I have new Sual mouth piece KWII, and have been playing for over 20 years. The mpc is bright as a result of the stepped baffle and metal. I used to play with Bari reeds on hard rubber. Yeah, that doesn't work witht the new mpc, definately wants cane or atleast plasticover. The built in lig definately does not work well you need to find a different lig that holds the reed diferently. I also lost the solid lower register. I tried another lig and it worked better but I also need to find the right lig. Outside of the thay mpc has GREAT potential. I can rip up to high F# with good precision and clarity. I will post what I find (ligs) this W/E in NY

Reply To Post

1. by aholloway17
            (5 posts)

19 years ago

Well, great success in NY this past weekend. I tried several mpc's and was about to give up when I tried the Francios Louis lig. Kind of an odd looking lig with references to the typical link ligs and the single bottom thumb screw. What a difference I have been hitting the lower register head on repeatedly...no warble or bubbling at all. So, if you are still looking to work with yours or are considering one I can say, atleat on the KWll model, get yourself the Francios lig. It will make a big difference.

Reply To Post

2. by selmer 4evr
            (309 posts)

19 years ago

I had the same problem ( squeeking ) with a Sugal in greandilla wood . I was searching for a legit moiuthpiece and this sugal was amazing. Dry semi dark but with a lot of overtones,,it was the best i ever tried. I spoke with Gary Sugal and he adivised that I use a different reed . I was using Omega reeds and he suggested Rico Royal which I do not like so i did not purchase the mouthpiece

Reply To Post

3. by aholloway17
            (5 posts)

19 years ago

I do not like Rico Royal either. Something about 3 0ut of 7 reeds working...didn't like the odds. However, I do use, after much trial and error, plasticover and cane simulated reeds and they sound great. If you get the chance to try Sugal definately try it.

Reply To Post

4. by AdamL
            (6 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Gary Sugal Mouthpieces AND REEDS

Aside from the huge lot of vintage new/old stock reeds I have,,which are denser cane and much more consistant, I think the best reeds are the vintage(thats the brand name) reeds from Australia. They last much longer and have a fuller sound than everything else I've played and sold at my shop in L.A. over the years.

Reply To Post