Saxophone Forum

by Kitch22
(98 posts)
19 years ago

Mouthpiece Recommendations

I play alto sax and have played it for 4 years. Right now, I am taking private lessons from a professional saxophonist. Recently, I have been asked to join a sax quartet, and I will alomst certainly be playing tenor. I don't have all that much experience on a tenor, but I can play one almost as well as alto. I am looking into some mouthpieces to buy (hard rubber); I want a jazz mpc, as I won't ever be playing anything close to classical. Some pieces I've been looking at are Otto Links, Berg Larsens, Claude Lakeys, and possibly a Selmer Super Session. When I'm ready to buy one, I'll order a few to try out from wwbw.com, so help me out and give a several recommendations.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by BlueTrain
    (6 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Mouthpiece Recommendations

I reccomend a mouthpiece made by Fred Rast. He is a well established mouthpiece maker and I have no idea why he is not more popular, because his mouthpieces are the best I have ever played. Some of his models were based on mouthpieces like the vintage Meyer New York and vintage Selmer Soloist, but then he adds his own special ideas and they play better than the originals. He made mouthpieces for Kenny Garrett. He has a website with his information so that you can contact him. www.rastmusic.com I use his mouthpiece based off of the Meyer New York on alto and plan to his mouthpiece based off of the Selmer Soloist for tenor. I remember the price of the mouthpiece being somewhere around 175, which is a steal compared to the price of a Meyer New York, which does not even play as well. Good Luck finding the mouthpiece that is right for you.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by SaxMan
      (559 posts)

19 years ago

find a good playing new york meyer, and there will be ABSOLUTELY NOTHING any where near it.

Reply To Post

1. by Kitch22
        (98 posts)

19 years ago

. . . . . . . . .

Reply To Post

1. by wildman
          (12 posts)

18 years ago

I bought an Oleg Maestro for my tenor ref 54 and after 2 minutes of semi struggling it evened out into the best mouthpiece I ever blew on. The Oleg Maestro has to be the most under rated mpc ever.

Reply To Post

2. by The Insomniac Saxman
        (141 posts)

18 years ago

Check out what Ralph Morgan has to offer. Also the Jody Jazz HR series is pretty good.

Reply To Post

1. by blackfrancis
          (396 posts)

18 years ago

Ditto the Ralph Morgan. A wonderful piece in every respect.

Reply To Post

3. by BluesMan1240
        (2 posts)

17 years ago

You might give the pieces from SR Technologies a try. Not a lot of people have heard of them, but they are really good mouthpieces.Check out their website (srtechnologies.com) for more info. jazz to the world

Reply To Post