Saxophone Forum

by JWilliams
(3 posts)
9 years ago

I need HELP!

Sophomore in high school.

In marching band.

Need help finding a good mouthpiece, ligature, and reeds.

Been playing for a year. ( Self-taught. Pretty bad but I want to improve. )

Still use the mouthpiece that came with my Alto Sax that my parents bought for me.

Alto Sax I use: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00501ISLW/ref=mp_s_a_1_8/177-4570051-7630703?qid=1438380056&sr=1-8&pi=SL75_QL70&keywords=mendini+saxophone

Sorry about the formatting of this post. I needed to confess my thoughts.

Any help will be appreciated. Thank you!

Edit 1: Budget $100. Sorry :<

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by JonHuff
    (117 posts)

9 years ago

Re: I need HELP!

A $100 budget doesn't give you much space to get something decent, most good mouthpieces are going to start right around $100 - $120 alone for the alto sax (such as Meyer, Vandoren, Otto Link). This site is affiliated with Saxquest.com, I would check them out for ideas for professional mouthpieces, reeds, accessories, etc. Good luck and keep up the work!

Reply To Post

1. by JWilliams
      (3 posts)

9 years ago

Sorry for the late reply.

I'm not looking for professional accessories, I'm looking for things that are sort of in the middle.

This is what I found so far.

Mouthpiece: Yamaha YAC1287 5C

Reeds:Fibercell Synthetic reeds strength 3

Neckstrap: Neotech 1901162 Sft Sax Strap

Total comes to about $70.

Are these worth it?

Reply To Post

1. by JonHuff
        (117 posts)

9 years ago

The mouthpiece is fine, personally I've never been a fan of synthetic reeds but I know plenty of people do dig them so that is cool. I recommend against the Neotech especially for marching band in particular, because it is sort of stretchy and "bouncy", not a good thing when you are trying to hold your horn steady while marching! I would go with a Rico Padded strap, same idea but no bounce, and the price is about the same.

Reply To Post

1. by JWilliams
          (3 posts)

9 years ago

Thank you for your advice. I'll get the neckstrap you recommended. Is there any more advice that you can give me?

Thank you!

Reply To Post