Saxophone Forum

by Dirty_Reggae
(55 posts)
19 years ago

Funk Improvisation...im runnin out of ideas

So my Jazz Band is playing a song called Squeeze This Mr. Whipple. Its a sweet song, and i have a very very long solo in it; at first im thinking, alright i get to solo for a long ass time, However, we've been playin it a lot latley (we're taking it to a competition) and i consatantly find myself running out of ideas over the typical empty funk solo style. Anyone have any advice?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by definition
    (963 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Funk Improvisation...im runnin out of ideas

repitition isnt that bad of a thing within a single solo, just dont make all your solos the same. try using the blues scale

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by peter090
      (155 posts)

19 years ago

Take advantage of the extended form to build the solo. Start with simple ideas and don't be afraid to leave space. This gives the rhythm section some space to work with. Listen to them and try to incorporate some of their ideas in your lines. Get a conversation goint. In my opinion this is the real common feature among the great players. You can build by adding rhythmic and/or harmonic complexity. Think about the shape of your solo. It is sometimes very effective to let a solo wind back down at the end or right before the final buildup. By changing the intensity/complexity you are manipulating the tension and release and preparing for the next section of the chart.

Reply To Post

1. by Firk
        (31 posts)

19 years ago

these guys are both absolutely right. they hit it right on. go with it, and put some soul into it. ~Firk

Reply To Post