Saxophone Forum

by historicsaxwhisperer
(644 posts)
6 years ago

Marching/Band Camp Season. You Got a Beater for Field Use?

It is summer and the 8th graders headed to High School are all excited about the up coming marching season. And the parents. Its so cute to do repairs as I do as a side thing, and having the parents ask for a tune up on the students new shiny Taiwanese horn that they paid too much for  new...

You then find this new horn simply needs nothing more than an oiling and having the neck to body tenon cleaned up to avoid the more than common neck bend, as a student crams a sticky neck into the sax body. Thanks for the 25 bucks for my time, your tuneup, and here is some free advise.

Marching with a saxophone has nothing to do with making music. Its the big show and a production. If you are doing it right, your horn is going to get damaged.

Can I hear an Amen form those marching fans?

So, here is my advice. Get a second marching horn. You dont go off roading in your BMW, so get a relic. Consider a very old American tank horn from the 1920s without a front F. Consider a 1973 Bundy that you can pick up for 75.00. Buy some spray paint. Make it match your school colors and go for it.

It may not even play correctly. As long as you play your solid Axe when in front of the conductor during  inside rehersal, who is going to really know.

Have fun. Get a second beater horn, and keep that expensive horn in its case. Usually that guy doing your repairs will have a few sitting around for a bargain price.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by JonHuff
    (117 posts)

6 years ago

Re: Marching/Band Camp Season. You Got a Beater for Field Use?

I've got an amen for you! We see too many good horns in for repairs at the end of the season, when they should never have been on the field in the first place. You can pick up a beater sax for $150 - $300 at the local pawn shop or on Craig's List almost any day of the week. Spend that money now, or spend that money on repairs to your good sax later.

Reply To Post