Saxophone Forum

by allycat66
(4 posts)
18 years ago

Saxiohone mutes & mics

I would like to have the ability to run my sax through our mixing board to get some effects. the problem is that I am a part of a Duo- no drums. My sax is so loud that I can't hear any of the effets, all I can hear is my normal sound. I have not found any kind of a mute for a sax. I want to mute the natural sound and then run the muted sound through a mising board for effects.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by definition
    (963 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Saxiohone mutes & mics

get a bigger amp to play the effects also, what effects are you using? some work better than others for sax

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by saxjuan
    (12 posts)

18 years ago

get an acoustic amp with effects or a pre amp and a sound processor, but you need to control your own volume any way...other wise you do not need to be amplify

Reply To Post

3. by kelsey
    (930 posts)

18 years ago

Try an in ear monitoring system. You will be able to hear what's coming trough the sound system and less of your natural sax sound. It's hard for me to imagine a Duo, without a drummer, playing so soft that you drowned out the sound system. Are you Sequenceing? Sounds to me like a very soft pop group. If you were playing jazz you wouldn't want effects anyway unless it was Kenny G jazz......Kelsey
    Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

1. by allycat66
      (4 posts)

18 years ago

I don't drown out the sound system, I just can't hear the effects very well. All I hear is my natural sax and a little effect in the background. We are doing what we can to have a full sound without the drummer. I can use the echo on some songs and it sounds pretty good. I would like to do some kind of different sounds. I may have to get an electric woodwind to get some funky stuff

Reply To Post

4. by WillDSpecs
    (9 posts)

18 years ago

One thing i always wanted to try was to run effects on my horn. Being a guitarist as well as a saxophonist, my first assumption would always be to get and amp and a microphone. My friend and i used to come up with crazy ideas like taking a shure Green Hornet (a mic usually reserved for harp players) throwing it in or around the bell, then running it all through a Mesa Boogie or a Marshall. Never tried it, but that's probably where I'd start. what kind of Drummerless duo is it? That would be the first thing to ask, then kinda work from there.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by allycat66
      (4 posts)

18 years ago

I have use a green bullet mic inside the bell of my sax. I don't need a mic at all but you can only get effects through our mixing board. Also when I record My sax sounds like it is in a hole a long way away. I have tried to use a mic and play very softly and that has worked, but I don't get into it as much that way. My next try is th mute made by Original Schwaab (if i can find one for a tenor) and put the breen bullet mic inside the the bell beneath the mute. -- I have used socks a lot too

Reply To Post

1. by kelsey
        (930 posts)

18 years ago

The green bullet mike was made for harmonica. Get a different mike. Lay off the socks and mutes. I don't know what kind of music you play and please don't tell me. Good luck.......Kelsey
        Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

2. by saxjuan
      (12 posts)

18 years ago

try the ULTRACOUSTIC acx1000 from BEHRINGER, I play live at church and I use reverbs, echoes, chorus... And I hear a well balanced effect sound as well as the natural sound, I am shure you will love it, for me is very natural to use mics, try a clip on from ATM, is very good but may shure you have phantom power, 99% free of feedback and a good response

Reply To Post

1. by allycat66
        (4 posts)

18 years ago

I am getting a Clip on mike - I threw the socks away and all is good. My sax is still not in the mix like I would like. But it does sound a lot better. We play Adult Alternative, sister Hazel- The Jayhawks, the wallflowers. I only do small sax spots and maybe one solo.-I also sing and rythm. We have been successful at getting a full sound with just two people- doesn't sound anything like a duo.

Reply To Post

1. by chiamac
          (586 posts)

18 years ago

I got a audiotechnia clip on mic 7 years ago... it works great, sounds great, but I don't like clipons. They catch way too much key noise. I'd just get a regular mic with a boom, or something. Either way, just play a little softer and let the speakers and effects do the work. There isn't much reason to have effects if you're competing with your amplified sound. as for hearing yourself, get a nice monitor speaker, or headphones.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by gbsax
            (2 posts)

18 years ago

I got a audio-technica pro 35x last year. What a great difference - it definitely gets me in the mix and allows me freedom to change between instruments (ten., alto, sop., clarinet). Forget playing into a boom mic - indirect sound pickup, banging it trying to stay close, lack of stage freedom etc. Yes there can be some key sound - but get your mixer man to identify it and manage it, this works well. Also reduce instrument sounds by ensuring just the rubber clips are on the instrument - if you put the clip on too far then the bell rim touches the back of the clip and accentuate skey sounds etc.

Reply To Post

2. by chiamac
            (586 posts)

18 years ago

I think that is my mic too... I just can't say enough good things about them. and yes, I doubt it was set up well back then. Can't be too picky when dealing with old/crappy PA equipment!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM