Saxophone Forum

by saxophonegrl_alto_bari
(48 posts)
18 years ago

what reed do u play???

Hey. I am kinda bored so i am asking what type of reed do you use? I use rico royal #2 1/2 but i just switched over to Rico Royal #3. They are so much better

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Shai Berkovich
    (12 posts)

18 years ago

Re: what reed do u play???

I use In Tenor LaVoz Soft Best Sound And in Baritone I use Rico 3

Reply To Post

2. by definition
    (963 posts)

18 years ago

On alto I use Vandoren JAVA 2s and 4s with a runyon custom 7 and Runyon Smoothbore 9 Tenor, Alexander DCs in 3.5s with a Guy Hawkins 7 and a BARI Hawk II 7 Bari, LaVoz Hard or Vandoren Blue Box 5, then I clip the tips, anything else is to soft on a Runyon Custom 8 or Lawton 8*BB

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by saxophonegrl_alto_bari
      (48 posts)

18 years ago

Hey has any one heard of the reeds Patrick? I got 10 of them for alto and they are the best reeds i have heard.

Reply To Post

1. by GregLauer
        (37 posts)

18 years ago

who really cares what reeds someone plays on i play on different reeds everty 6-7 months and sound exactly the same.......

Reply To Post

(48 posts)

18 years ago

not two reeds will sound exctly the same! at least not to a good saxophone player. I can tell what the person will sound like because of what reed they like. any ways i was just asking cause i am thinking about buying new reeds. are you serious you can't tell the diff between any brand of reeds??? i can tell the diff sound of reeds when it is the same brand and they look exactly the same!

Reply To Post

2. by newreedsyndrome
          (343 posts)

17 years ago

I would argue that a player with truly good control of the instrument can sound like themself consistantly on any reed with any ligature on any mouthpiece with any neck on any horn.

Reply To Post

3. by MarkLavelle
          (300 posts)

18 years ago

While the cut of a particular brand of reeds may be very consistent, they're still just wood, and every plant is different. Nobody can *guarantee* that any two reeds will sound/play exactly the same...

Reply To Post

2. by BuffetSax
        (21 posts)

18 years ago

i use a hemke reed. its 2 1/2 since the store didn't have a 3 but i heard that hemkes are a bit thicker anyways i really like them and their very easy to play on.

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

18 years ago

I bought a planer and belt sander at Home Depot. Now I just buy 2X4's and make my own reeds! I can make about 400 reeds out of one single 8 ft. 2X4 (If I'm careful not to sand them too thin) and I can usually buy 2X4's for less than $2.60 a piece! They actually play very well except for the pine taste! It takes some getting used to. But cane is so expensive!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by Sax Mom
            (964 posts)

18 years ago

lol

Reply To Post

2. by Donnie The B
            (282 posts)

17 years ago

Very funny Jim. These kids think you're serious tho. ROFLOL. As far as this question of what reed we use - it totally depends on the mouthpiece I'm gonna use. I use harder reeds (ususally LaVoz medium hard) with close tips like a Selmer C*. I use a softer reed with a Phil Barone 7*, more open tip. LaVoz medium or Vandoren #3 today. Speaking of expensive, I can't believe I just paid $4.50 each to pick out single reeds from Vandoren boxes. I used to hate paying 75 cents for LaVoz versus 65 cents for Rico. (Only 30-40 years ago!!) - - - Later.

Reply To Post

3. by newreedsyndrome
            (343 posts)

17 years ago

Way cool D double-O D! That's totally awesome! lol

Reply To Post

4. by newreedsyndrome
            (343 posts)

17 years ago

Reply To Post

5. by newreedsyndrome
            (343 posts)

17 years ago

Reply To Post

1. by newreedsyndrome
              (343 posts)

17 years ago

It did it again! Sorry for the triple posting; my computer keeps sending postings and e-mails and whatnot multiple times!

Reply To Post

6. by BluesMan1240
            (2 posts)

17 years ago

Classical: Traditional Vandoren (strength 3) Jazz: Rico Select Jazz 3M

Reply To Post

7. by musicwriter2001
            (14 posts)

17 years ago

well, i guess i will put my .02 worth. i was using rico royal 2.5 and 3 for my altos and 2 and 2.5 for my tenors. i tried heavier vandorens and javas, but i didnt like the way they sounded. i switched to fibracell on the reccomendation of my tech and i love them. medium soft fibracell with a selmer metal D on the buescher 400 medium soft fibracell with a brillhart 3* on my 1902 silver holton soft fibracell with a selmer C** for both my altos. they sound great and dont have to be soaked, they are just ready from the start.

Reply To Post

8. by Lotus54
            (32 posts)

17 years ago

Just so you know where I'm coming from, I've been playing almost 40 years and tried tons of different types of reeds on different MPs (I even made my own MPs). The best I've found in all that time are the Alexander Superial Reeds. I use the 3 for most things, but I have a pretty open MP. It is a custom Dave Guardala gold plate, probably around a 10 with a fairly low baffle. Nice tone. If I want to play softly a bunch, I'd go down to a 2 1/2 or even a bit less maybe. I soak the reeds completly in water for some time before playing, every time, then I dump them in water regularly to keep them good and wet. I used to go through a whole box to get maybe 3 decent reeds, now I can generally use all the ones in the box. Some are better than others, and I may have to 'doctor' up the few I don't like as much, but a huge percentage play really well. I like the reeds to speak up, I want to be able to play quite loudly if I want (I almost never use a mic when playing live) but not let the tone get too bright or brittle. I like a sound somewhere between Dexter Gordon, Yusef Lateef and Davd Murray. (Listen to some Lateef, what a great player). On Soprano I use a C** metal. It is not very open at all and I play around a #3 Alexander Superial Reed reed also- still like it the best. I like the sound of that MP, although there are certainly times I'd like it more open. If I use too light a reed I can't play loudly at all- I would need a mic. Perhaps you notice I don't care much for the mics and PA systems much- unless you get them setup right it sounds horrible (at least I think so). Is that too much info? mark

Reply To Post

9. by sax&sax
            (18 posts)

17 years ago

i use soprano (otto link 6*)vandoren #2 1/2 Bb clarinet(pomarico diamond)rue le pic #3 1/2 tenor(bari metal 85/5*)v16 #3

Reply To Post

10. by The Brass Eagle
            (4 posts)

18 years ago

Hey all, Afro Thunda speakin here! I play with JAVA Vandoren #3 reeds, and sometimes #3 1/2 ones, but they dont seem to last long. Can anyone give tips for a hardcore player?(I play at least 2 hours a day.) P.S. I play Runescape!!! My names Eagle Bot.

Reply To Post

1. by saxs_make_it_happen
              (42 posts)

18 years ago

I'm on my last Hemke reed and I really like these a LOT. especially in altissimo notes I can play 4th octave F# with them really easy and theyre really responsive. But I sucked it up and bought the box of vandoren selects and this is my first day to use them. I really like them so far, it seems to have a more full, round sound. both of the kinds are 3's

Reply To Post Yahoo!

(48 posts)

18 years ago

I didn't like the vandoren when i tried them. i tried a 2 1/2 and didn't like there sound so i stopped.

Reply To Post

1. by CountSpatula
                  (602 posts)

18 years ago

Go java reeds=). My java reed last me for like 2 months, and I use them every day in school. It helps to sand it down with SUPER fine sand paper, then soak it in water till it gets wet throughout and whatever. My private lesson teacher taught me this...Maybe if theres a sax teacher in your school you can ask he'll show you.

Reply To Post AIM

2. by The Brass Eagle
                  (4 posts)

18 years ago

Thnx, my band teacher knows how to! I have been playing very good, thanks to your advice!Thank you!

Reply To Post

3. by saxjunkie89
                  (393 posts)

18 years ago

my bari reeds lasted since around August, and I'm still playing on one from then!

Reply To Post

4. by saxjunkie89
                  (393 posts)

18 years ago

oh yeah, Rico Jazz Select Unfiled 4M

Reply To Post

5. by saxophonegrl_alto_bari
                  (48 posts)

18 years ago

how many types of of reeds have you tried??? i have tried 3

Reply To Post

6. by saxjunkie89
                  (393 posts)

18 years ago

soprano: Rico Royal 2 1/2, Rico Jazz Select Filed 3H alto: Orange box Rico 2-3, La Voz Medium, Rico Jazz Select Unfiled 3M tenor: Rico Jazz Select Unfiled (bari sax) 4M, La Voz Medium (tenor sax, bass clar.) bari: La Voz Medium, Rico Jazz Select Unfiled 3M and 4M The last ones for each sax is what I currently play on, except alto. I have recently discovered how awesome orange box Ricos #2 are. Maybe it's my setup though, Meyer 5 hard rubber mpc. BG France super revelation lig. Rico #2's

Reply To Post

7. by saxjunkie89
                  (393 posts)

18 years ago

oh, that would be 13, unless you exclude the bari reeds from the tenor list, then it's 12.

Reply To Post

8. by GzsKerqt
                  (77 posts)

18 years ago

i've tried alto: rico 21/2,2 Vandoren classic 21/2,3 ricoroyal 2,21/2,3 zonda 3,31/2 tenor: rico royal 21/2,3 rico 21/2, vandoren 3 Bari: vandoren 21/2 i play alto in sch... but when u're a qm, they wun know if u try all the reeds they have or take one out of every box.. hehe...

Reply To Post

9. by definition
                  (963 posts)

18 years ago

whats a qm?

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

10. by Repetti17
                  (12 posts)

18 years ago

Alto: Vandoren 3 (Selmer S90-190) , Rico Jazz Select 3 soft unfiled (Meyer 6M) Tenor: Vandoren 3 (Selmer Soloist D), Rico Jazz Select 3 medium unfiled (Otto Link 7*)

Reply To Post

11. by saxjunkie89
                  (393 posts)

18 years ago

oh, and add to that list La Voz Med Hard Tenor reeds, i just moved to those, so that's 14

Reply To Post

12. by Antofa
                  (3 posts)

18 years ago

Is it really helpful informing people of the hardness and type of reed you are playing without mentioning what mouthpiece you use? I've used standard rico, rico royal, la voz (when I can get them), van doren, plasticover and many more with Rousseau metal, Wolfe Tayne metal(with wide facing), selmer plastic (not used a lot) and I've got various other plastic mouthpieces I've tried all these on. I've settled and got used the Rico Royals because they are readily available from my local stockists and seem to perform reasonable consistently even though they are french filed. I do like La Voz though! Hope this makes sense! Happy honking...... Anto :o)

Reply To Post

13. by saxophonegrl_alto_bari
                  (48 posts)

18 years ago

Does anyone use those reeds that are covered in plastic??? i haven't but my teacher said that they work good for marching and jazz, so i was wondering if they would be good for marching band. ^^^^ i don't know much about them though, so if i am totally wrong, don't hold me against it

Reply To Post

14. by Antofa
                  (3 posts)

18 years ago

Hi saxophonegrl_alto_bari, I used Rico Plasticover for a while and found that they lasted pretty well on my alto with a Eugene Rousseau Metal mouthpiece.. With the above mouthpiece they were a litle too "edgy " for my taste, but they would certainly be good for projection! Price was more expensive than royale , but as I said before, they did last quite well due to the plastic impregnation - actually looks more like they've been dipped in paint! Best plan is to give one a try and compare it to what you are using now. Good luck and Happy honking! Anto

Reply To Post

15. by Mike P.
                  (13 posts)

18 years ago

For Alto, I USED to play the Vandoren Blue Box #3 with a Selmer D MP and Bay Ligature for many years. I got bored and switched everything up. For Soprano, I really like the Hemke #3--excellent reeds and definitely less expensive than the Vandorens (at least in my neck of the woods) for Alto, (Jazz) I used Alexander Superial DC #3 with my Cannonball #5 Mp which I love dearly and for Legit I use Alexander Superial Classique #3 with a Rousseau NC4 which at first was a bit too dark for me but after playing on it for a while I love it to pieces! I never thought I would like any other kind of reed after Vandoren but I cannot see myself ever going back after playing on Hemke and Alexander Superial--especially the Superials they are incredible and less expensive for anyone on a limited budget!!!!

Reply To Post

16. by Dark Eyes
                  (138 posts)

18 years ago

currently I have been using a selmer C*80 which I know is not the best mouthpiece but I'm planning to switch soon. I also use a selmer soloist D as well. Before a couple weeks ago I was a standard Vandoren user (Blue Box, ZZ, Green Box) for both of my mouthpieces. Then, I switched to LaVoz medium reeds and I have to say that I am very happy with the result. Much better tone. Also, I was wondering whether anyone had any experience with the D.C. Alexander(hope its spelled right) reeds compared to the Vandoren and LaVoz? cheers, Dark Eyes (unloved thesis)

Reply To Post

17. by Mike P.
                  (13 posts)

18 years ago

I use Alexander Superial DC and love them! In fact I have one on my horn right now! Well worth the investment. Just follow the advice the maker of the reed provides in the box and you will get long use out of the reed.

Reply To Post

18. by saxmachine777
                  (57 posts)

17 years ago

With several ventures out to see if I might prefer something else, I continue to enjoy playing on Vandoren reeds. I don't know what exactly it is, but I like the feel and the flavor of them more than any brands I may have alternatively tried. So here goes: TENOR Selmer D - Traditional #4 Otto Link STM NY 7* - JAVA #3 1/2 ALTO Selmer C* - Traditional #4 1/2 Meyer metal 7J - ZZ #3 SOPRANO Yanagisawa 5* - Rico Royal #3 BARITONE Berg Larson SS London 110/1 M - ZZ #3

Reply To Post AIM

19. by CountSpatula
                  (602 posts)

17 years ago

Wowza, you play 4.5s on your C* on alto?? You must be a beast ;)

Reply To Post AIM

20. by saxmachine777
                  (57 posts)

17 years ago

Nah, it just built up to that eventually. It's sort of my main classical axe, and the mouthpiece is pretty narrow-tipped. I haven't played classical in a while, so I'd probably play a #4 for a week before warming back up to the #4 1/2 plank.

Reply To Post AIM

21. by saxmachine777
                  (57 posts)

17 years ago

Alright, so it's been a couple of years since high school, but this one's fun, so I thought I'd throw down: Selmer SA 80 Serie III Tenor Selmer D - Traditional #4 Otto Link STM NY 7* - JAVA #3 1/2 Selmer Mark VI Silver Plate Alto (174XXX) Selmer C* - Traditional #4 1/2 Meyer metal 7J - ZZ #3 Yanagisawa SC992 Bronze Curved Soprano Yanagisawa 5* - Rico Royal #3 Selmer Mark VI Bari Low A 88XXX (But a school horn *jealous groan*) Berg Larson SS London 110/1 M - ZZ #3

Reply To Post AIM

22. by saxmachine777
                  (57 posts)

17 years ago

Sorry about that, but I got my windows mixed up. That was an unnecessary post. Please forgive me.

Reply To Post AIM

23. by Sax Mom
                  (964 posts)

17 years ago

You are forgiven!

Reply To Post

24. by The Insomniac Saxman
                  (141 posts)

17 years ago

SOPRANO legit: Morgan 1C, Vandoren blue box 3.5 commercial/jazz: Morgan 4J, Vandoren blue box 2.5 ALTO legit: Rousseau NC-4, Vandoren blue box 3.5 all-purpose: Meyer 6M, Vandoren blue box 3 fusion: Beechler bellite 7, Vandoren ZZ 2.5 TENOR legit: Rousseau NC-5, Vandoren blue box 3 commercial/jazz: Guardala Crescent, Rico Plasticover 3 early jazz/swing/gigs where I have to play quietly: vintage Dukoff (pre-Hollywood) 5 refaced by John Reilly, Vandoren ZZ 3 BARITONE commercial/jazz: metal Otto Link 6, Vandoren ZZ 3 or 3.5 Bb CLARINET custom Ridenour, Vandoren Rue Lepic 3

Reply To Post

25. by The Insomniac Saxman
                  (141 posts)

17 years ago

Saxmachine777, what are your thoughts on your Meyer metal 7J? I've been interested in trying out a Meyer metal on alto and you're the first person I've come across that plays one . . . Have you ever played a rubber Meyer on alto, and if so, could you provide a comparison with your current metal Meyer? Thanks in advance for the info . . .

Reply To Post

26. by saxmachine777
                  (57 posts)

17 years ago

The two mouthpieces (rubber v. metal) are different animals due to the physical external volume of the mouthpiece. Your embrochure is different between the two especially regarding corner width on your mouth. Both are wonderfully versatile mouthpieces, though I might try the rubber between concert band music and jazz, and the metal between a cool, subtone sound and a brighter bop or even funk sound. Much of the difference in feel are what you'd expect between a hard rubber and a metal mouthpiece: more resonance and vibration from the metal, plus a bit more of a free-blowing feel. They're both quite, as I would put it, comfortable, and I like them for their versatility very much, but the metal suits my needs to a more tailored fit.

Reply To Post AIM

27. by hightor
                  (6 posts)

17 years ago

I'm a big fan of synthetic reeds. I'm currently using a Fibracell on clarinet, and a Legere or Bari Star on tenor.

Reply To Post

28. by swingstreet
                  (315 posts)

17 years ago

I use either LaVoz mediums or Vandoren Java 21/2.

Reply To Post