Saxophone Forum

by ThunderWhale
(3 posts)
18 years ago

I just *accidently* found a GREAT mouthpiece combo.

I was playing around with some of my alto mouthpieces today, and I discovered a GREAT mouthpiece combo! I put my Jody Jazz Classic spoiler into my Selmer C* mouthpiece, and blew (I wasn't expecting much), but this thing made the best sound I've produced through my instrument so far! It wasn't as bright as when I just the Jody + spoiler, but it was close, and it wasn't dark like the selmer, it felt, and sounded like a whole new mouthpiece. It was really great. Crystal clear intonation, and the easiest blowing out of any mouthpieces I've tried. I reccommend anybody to buy a JJ classic spoiler, and put it in your C*, you won't regret it! Have fun!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by CountSpatula
    (602 posts)

18 years ago

Re: I just *accidently* found a GREAT mouthpiece combo.

Selmer C*s are meant for concert band...requiring a dark sound and putting a spoiler will only make your sound brighter...And with their square chamber they can't play very loud, you might as well buy a jazz mouthpiece that way. I'm not a big fan of the spoiler, i can get a brighter sound with better mouthpieces then a JJ. I dont really think thats a good idea...

Reply To Post AIM

2. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

18 years ago

Your Selmer C* has a tip opening that is WAY too closed for your Jody Jazz spoiler. I guarantee that your intonation is off! It probably projects like the bell is filled with cement too! In all fairness, I haven't heard it. But, knowing the C*'s and how restricting they are, I wouldn't DARE add a spoiler that would restrict them even more!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by CountSpatula
      (602 posts)

18 years ago

I wonder how you even got your spoiler in there....my runyon one really doesnt even fit....

Reply To Post AIM

1. by Dark Eyes
        (138 posts)

18 years ago

Spoiler? What is this?

Reply To Post

1. by CountSpatula
          (602 posts)

18 years ago

Spoiler is kind of like a "Metal reed" that you place inside the mouthpiece...it splits the air stream and all this technicall stuff making it project more and also brighter... the only mouthpieces I know that use these are Runyons and Jody Jazz ESPs... runyonproducts.com/spoiler.html www.jodyjazz.com/esp.alto.html (near the bottom)

Reply To Post AIM

2. by selmer 4evr
          (309 posts)

18 years ago

What a waste of a C* as for them not playing loud think again I can ripp any Meyer or Otto Link apart at least on an Alto you just need to blow without disrupting or breaking up the sound column it gets very loud if you play it right .

Reply To Post

3. by CountSpatula
          (602 posts)

18 years ago

I don't use a meyer or otto link on alto but I guarantee my RPC can blow you away=).

Reply To Post AIM

4. by chiamac
          (586 posts)

18 years ago

"What a waste of a C* as for them not playing loud think again I can ripp any Meyer or Otto Link apart at least on an Alto " No.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM