Saxophone Forum

by SQ1
(13 posts)
18 years ago

Vandoren Optimum ligature - snake oil or the bee's knees?

Looking at pictures of the thing, what seems to distinguish it from most other ligs is the pressure plates which allow it to exert downward pressure on the reed - like you can with the Francois Louis ones. So it occurs to me that you could get a similar effect by buying the plates (a fiver) and using them with another cheaper lig. Has anyone used an Optimum lig? Or tried the above suggestion? And is there a Search facility here that I'm missing? Muchas gracias.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by definition
    (963 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Vandoren Optimum ligature - snake oil or the bee's knees?

It isnt snake oil, it really is a nice lig. I no longer use one, but I used it with amazing results when I was playing large amounts of classical repertoire

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by reclininglion
    (5 posts)

18 years ago

The Optimum has been my ligature of choice on Alto and Tenor for 5 years now and I love it. I often throw on my Francois Louis to compare and always end up going back to my Optimum. I have one for Soprano too but it doesn't fit my HR Link very well so I can't use it. It really seals the reed on the mouthpiece and gets a very complex tone as compared to others. The Francois Louis is a more free-blowing lig but doesn't give me the depth of tone that Optimum does. And, as for buying the plates . . . they fit into the ligature in a way that wouldn't allow you to use it with another brand. That would not be a very successful venture I'm afraid. Also, my wife, who is a professional clarinetist uses the optimum on Bb, A, and Bass. We both love them! And, one last suggestion - make sure to try all 3 plates to find the one right for you. The different contact points really do make a difference. I use the one with to horizontal contacts for jazz and the one with vertical ridges for classical.

Reply To Post

1. by MarkLavelle
      (300 posts)

18 years ago

Yeah, definitely 'bees knees' in my opinion... Not that I have any problem with my Vandoren Java and Jumbo Java mouthpieces (tenor), but has anyone ever seen a list of non-Vandoren rubber pieces that work with the Optimum?

Reply To Post

1. by reclininglion
        (5 posts)

18 years ago

On tenor I've played the following with my optimum and had much success: - otto link HR - vintage and new - vintage selmer soloists - HR brilharts - Selmer C* - Vintage Woodwind & Co - Meyer HR This is all with the Optimum V5 (rather than the V16) which fits large HR mouthpieces. I have a v16 that I've used with Vandoren T75, Metal links, Metal Bay, etc . . . The only HR mouthpiece I've personally encountered that didn't fit the V5 was a HR Berg - it's too small. However, and alto Optimum fit fine on it.

Reply To Post