Saxophone Forum

by simpleman
(10 posts)
18 years ago

Looking for a new (or old) Tenor

I am a Freshman in college, and am looking for a Tenor Sax. I know that a lot of people here play vintage saxes and I am looking into getting a TT Buescher. I played a Buescher Soprano in high school and really liked it. I have seen a few post talking about how cheap old Bueschers are (around $400 on eBay). I am a firm believer that you get what you pay for, however, and am looking for a good place to buy vintage horns. If all Vintage horns are AMAZING (unlikely) then I'll just get one on eBay and overhaul it. What do you guys think?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by blackfrancis
    (396 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Looking for a new (or old) Tenor

Be very careful about eBay. I personally would not buy a horn that I hadn't seen in person. That's another way of saying that all vintage horns are not amazing. Another good place to look is www.junkdude.com. (bad name, but Dave is a really good guy) or how 'bout our own Saxquest store? If you find a TT, make sure it has the front F key. Also, don't write off a stencil brand. You can often get a good deal on one. Good luck in the hunt.

Reply To Post

2. by johnsonfromwisconsin
    (767 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Looking for a new (or old) Tenor

Also be carefull in the work you believe may need to be done. An ebay horn could need nothing more than regulation and a repad ($200-$400), or it could need extensive repairs costing a couple times more than what you paid for it.

Reply To Post