Saxophone Forum

by Radjammin
(255 posts)
18 years ago

For my own personal benfit, Want a new Legit Mouthpiece.

Hello everyone, I have played threw my S90 and my S80 and now I just want something more. I have been here a while and read all the post pro and con for the Selmer C* and for me I have finally decided I want something a little brighter for legit playing. I just feel like my tone completly changes between my Jumbo Java and my S80 C*. I want my legit tone to be a little more hip. I have seen people just play a Meyer 5 in Legit and it seems to work pretty good, I have also thought about buying a new Selmer Soloist(the vintage ones are too expensive). Anyone recommend, and please try to stay mainstream, with what you suggest and why? I don't got the bucks to shell out on mult mouthpieces so if I guess give me something better or at least verify you can use a Meyer 5 to play legit? Thanks. I love my Jumbo Java but even I realize it's too loud for legit and pardon the pun, but the C* is just too square for my current taste. My price range is up to $120 new or used. Please don't waste time recommending models more then this in price range.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
    (767 posts)

18 years ago

Re: For my own personal benfit, Want a new Legit Mouthpiece.

Personally, I think the S80 allready plays much towards the bright end of the usual classical spectrum. I find the Soloist a bit darker, actually, but it's sound is more rounded and it projects better. I tried this Ponzol C* equivalent once, and it was extremely bright, and loud too, much moreso in both respects than the S80. Runyon has the 88 that plays a bit brighter as well. I think the Ponzol is reasonable, under $100, and the Runyon is quite cheap. We are talking Alto, right? www.wwbw.com/Peter-Ponzol-Traditional-C--Alto-Saxophone-Mouthpiece-i74632.music www.wwbw.com/Runyon-Model-88-Alto-Sax-Mouthpiece-i62498.music

Reply To Post

1. by Radjammin
      (255 posts)

18 years ago

Legit Tenor, LOL You really crack me up sometimes John. but I do enjoy your advice. Hmm Ponzol. And you say the S80 is already on the bright end. Hmmm. Maybe I just want louder then, though I know I can't use my Jumbo Java playign legit, heh. I mean overall I enjoy the sound of the S80, I guess it's more the projection that I don't like. Now I am unsure. I feel like I have 2 completely different sound impressions on Jazz and Legit. Personally I have decided I do so little Legit playing I would prefer to shed that sound from my portfollio. What I wanted is something that would work in a Community band but not force me back to the dark side.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by Radjammin
        (255 posts)

18 years ago

Oh and is it true you can use a Meyer 5 for legit?

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by MarkLavelle
        (300 posts)

18 years ago

Have you tried a regular Java? I find I can be much 'mellower' with it than with the Jumbo, but it can still make a pretty big sound...

Reply To Post

1. by blackfrancis
          (396 posts)

18 years ago

You want to be louder, try something with a more open tip. Maybe Morgan would have something of interest, or try a Link Tone Edge. (IMHO you shoulda kept the Conn...) The hardcore legit players will have a field day with this! Mark, how is the regular Java? My interest is piqued.

Reply To Post

2. by MarkLavelle
          (300 posts)

18 years ago

'... how is the regular Java? My interest is piqued.' I haven't tried too many alternatives, but of the ones I have (and own: 4C and 5C Yamahas, Rovner G #6, Jumbo Java T55, and Java T45) the Java has the best balance between projection and what I would call purity of tone. I might use the Rovner more if *all* I played was what I think of as 'legit' and I might use the Jumbo more if I had no interest in getting a mellow tone (and could handle the opening - not quite there yet!), but I keep going back to the Java. It plays easy (for me) and works pretty well with just about any kind of music (and I have eclectic interests)...

Reply To Post

3. by CountSpatula
        (602 posts)

18 years ago

Javas are good...java reeds with it might be too bright...the only drawback i find on the Java is really stuffy and totally different sound than the rest of the notes...

Reply To Post AIM

2. by barisax999
      (400 posts)

18 years ago

you may to try an s-80 with a larger facing like a D or E. and whats wrong with legit tenor, it happens.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by CountSpatula
        (602 posts)

18 years ago

Theres also a C** (two stars) which is just a bit more open...in between the C* and the D...if you go too open of a mpc u might have to go down a size reed...

Reply To Post AIM

2. by barisax999
        (400 posts)

18 years ago

i found little signifigant difference between the C* and C**. it is a little more open, and by all means, try it, but it wasnt that much of a difference.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

3. by CountSpatula
        (602 posts)

18 years ago

I know, reason i mentioned that was because if you go too open you might have to drop down a size reed and end up the same projection you had before...

Reply To Post AIM

4. by blackfrancis
        (396 posts)

18 years ago

Reed strength has nothing to do with projection. If you use too stiff of a reed you'll be working to hard, something you most definately don't want when playing legit. Now here's an idea: take one of your old C* pieces and have it opened up by a good refacer. It will get brighter and louder, have a guaranteed good facing on it, and you won't have to go looking through a bunch of new pieces.

Reply To Post

5. by CountSpatula
        (602 posts)

18 years ago

"Reed strength has nothing to do with projection." Sorry I have to disagree...if i move up a size reed on any of my mouthpieces i play on the projection goes up quiet a bit, but too high its too hard to make a note... "have a guaranteed good facing on it" I think selmer is pretty good at that...

Reply To Post AIM

6. by Radjammin
        (255 posts)

18 years ago

Even if Reed Strenth plays into it, for me I know I am not going to a 3 or higher. I truely, utterly hate thick reeds with a passon. I will never go above a 3 and currently play 2.5 Vandoreans. Right now I am thinking about getting a Van regular or Optimum or a different S80. Mainly becuase I like Vandorean products. Thanks for all the feedback guys. I am have to say I am guaging your recommdation based on your playing history though. Age for me is not a concern but years playing is. Just thought I would throw that out there as a reminder to not spin your opionion past your years of playing.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

7. by CountSpatula
        (602 posts)

18 years ago

Just outta curiosity, why do you hate thicker reeds? Vandoren mouthpieces will give you a lot more projection than an S80 will...

Reply To Post AIM

8. by blackfrancis
        (396 posts)

18 years ago

Stand in front of my tenor and you will hear outstanding projection with a #2 reed. You just have to learn to blow. And if you put that harder reed on, can you play ppp with control and endurance? True about Selmer facings- I've never had a dud (facing) from them. I do think your later post is also valid- I too would go Vandoren.

Reply To Post

9. by CountSpatula
        (602 posts)

18 years ago

Playing on a 2 reed is pretty sweet. On my S80 if I use a 2.5 and play too loud the reed closes off and wont vibrate, i guess thin reeds are just not for me.

Reply To Post AIM

10. by blackfrancis
        (396 posts)

18 years ago

The reed closing off is a sure sign that it's too soft for that piece. Soft reeds work for me because my tip openings are in the 115-120 range and they need to "flap" a bit more.

Reply To Post

11. by CountSpatula
        (602 posts)

18 years ago

Oh well that changes everything around. I was saying a soft reed on a close tip (like S80) wont work very well....I use a 2.5 on my jazz mpcs so its all cool=)

Reply To Post AIM

12. by Radjammin
        (255 posts)

18 years ago

You just hit on what I want from my new Mouthpiece, a more open tip. I couldn't have stated it better for the ability to play softer reed and project. My voyage continues! Right now I am just trying to unload my S90 and S80 I one to get some money to buy something new. I also don't want to be out a mouthpiece for very long.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

13. by selmerfan
        (67 posts)

18 years ago

Seriously, I'm looking for a similar change in my C*, I'm going the refacing route. My stock C* got me through college and the major legit pieces (Glazunov, Ibert, DuBois, Bozza, Creston, etc.), but I'm looking for a little more projection now. selmerfan

Reply To Post

14. by Radjammin
        (255 posts)

18 years ago

Refacing seems like a sketchy way to progress. I thnk I will stick with stock options. Maybe if I stick with a selmer I will go with an E facing. From what I hear it would project more. I am also seriouly thinking about a Java (non-jumbo) as I have been so happy with Vandorean products. If it works, why change.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

15. by selmerfan
        (67 posts)

18 years ago

Radjammin, I'm not sure how long you've been playing and listening to sax, but the Java wouldn't normally be regarded as a legit mouthpiece. If all you're doing is playing in muni band then you'll probably be ok, but if that's what you're looking for, I'd also suggest a Vandoren V16 A5 or A6. They are very good Meyer inspired mouthpieces and finished better than the new Meyers are. selmerfan

Reply To Post