Saxophone Forum

by robocadet
(2 posts)
18 years ago

Old Couesnon Paris Saxophone

Hey guys! I'm new to these forums. I am a player in the Texas A&M University band and I happened across an old beat-up Couesnon saxophone. The saxophone reads: Modele Couesnon Cic. -Paris- ChateauThierry Farrication Americaine. Is this saxophone worth the trouble of fixing up? It's going to need new corks and a new pad job. All the tone holes are in good shape though.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by robocadet
    (2 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Old Couesnon Paris Saxophone

lol... I guess no one has ever heard of it before ;)

Reply To Post

1. by saxismyaxe
      (575 posts)

18 years ago

I think those of us who can answer this inquiry were simply out of town or just plain lazy. :D Rather than type a potted history of this small French firm, I'll simply point you to www.saxpics.com and let you take a look at the Couesnon section on Pete's site. Basically some of the newer vintage Couesnon horns have the classic "Selmer-ish" tone but with slightly less ergonomic keywork. This maker has been making saxophones since the late nineteenth/early 20th century, so there are also early models that are virtually identical to A. Sax's own, original designs. Best of luck.

Reply To Post

1. by saxismyaxe
        (575 posts)

18 years ago

By the way, in case you are wondering, the actual pronunciation of Couesnon is "quee-non". The value of these horns made by the smaller French makers such as Malerne, Beaugnier, Pierret etc. isn't typically great. On the other hand, the same could have been said for SML's, Buffets and Dolnets only a few year ago, and now they are rising in price as people discover what fine horns many of them can be. If you send me a few pictures via email, I can identify your particular model for you. Cheers.

Reply To Post

1. by milosr
          (3 posts)

15 years ago

I need eny informacion about alto sax emile simon- beare & son- london eng- toronto- made in france. HELP.............

Reply To Post