Saxophone Forum

by freshpuppy
(12 posts)
17 years ago

New Sax Player

Hi, I've just started playing the sax.... After playing the clarinet for twenty-eight years. I am doing quite well, I think...except for the fact that my bottom teeth seem to dig into just under my lip! I don't usually notice that it is tender and sore till after I've stopped... It's just a different position than the clarinet and something I will surely overcome. Is this normal? Glad to be here....I'm lovin' the saxophone....

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by freshpuppy
    (12 posts)

17 years ago

Re: New Sax Player

Never mind...figured it out myself.... Which is the best way, really.

Reply To Post

1. by MarkLavelle
      (300 posts)

17 years ago

I'm not particularly qualified to answer this (I've been only playing 2 years), but I wouldn't expect this to be a very different issue between clarinet and sax. You have to use the muscles in your lower lip just the same, as far as I can tell...

Reply To Post

1. by freshpuppy
        (12 posts)

17 years ago

Yes, you do.... However...it's a slightly different position. The mouthpiece is positioned differently (straight out instead of down) with a bigger reed to handle. You seem to need more air with a saxophone (or maybe it's just me...but logically...it IS more space to fill) And a sax is so much heavier than a clarinet...and in my case must be played to the side. I don't weigh very much to begin with...so the weight is something to get used to. I certainly couldn't play my clarinet to the side. (Well I could but it wouldn't be comfortable for long) So there are quite a lot of differences...if you're really very used to one thing to switch to another. It would be like someone changing the stick shift in your car ever so slightly....it is so engrained in your brain...it would be difficult at first. Anyway...I was using too much lower lip...problem solved. Thanks for responding....I love playing the sax (despite all I mentioned!)

Reply To Post

1. by MarkLavelle
          (300 posts)

17 years ago

Thanks for sharing the details (even though I'll never play clarinet - my guitar-calloused fingers don't work well on holes!). I particularly enjoyed the stick shift analogy...

Reply To Post