Saxophone Forum

by Dominic Ward
(1 post)
17 years ago

Old Sax found

I have found an Old Elkahrt USA Sax at my school. Its has a detailed ingraving on the bell. It hasn't been played in at a very very long time due to it need re-padding and having numerous leaks. Other than that it is in average condiotion. It has a serial number on it, NEC 2089. I was looking to buy a new sax but found this and am wondering of its worth and quality. Basicaly if anyone knows how good this sax is i would love to know and i would love to know some history behind the model. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Donnie The B
    (282 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Old Sax found

Read about old horns at www.saxophone.org ---- might locate this at www.saxpics.com --- Could also check at saxontheweb.net You need to think about the cost of repair - $200 to re-pad, another $100 for cork and felts. Any rods damaged? Any deep or large dents? Keyguards solid? Then when you get it repaired, you have a non-pro level horn, so tough to get your money back - except you're starting from $0! Good Luck.

Reply To Post

2. by Nimyad
    (21 posts)

16 years ago

Re: Old Sax found

Elkhart is made by Buescher from what i know. i have a Buescher, Elkhart Tenor Sax and i would do anything to repair it if it wasin need. My sax has had a rich beautiful sound during concerts and i can still make it sound good for jazz. Save the sax in my opinion its worth it.

Reply To Post