Saxophone Forum

by jd_sax
(10 posts)
17 years ago

Opinions On a New Mouthpiece

I'm 15 and a sophmore in high school, and i currently play a selmer ref 54 alto sax with a meyer 5 and la voz medium reeds. I'm looking to upgrade my mouthpiece and I have narrowed my search down to a Jody Jazz HR* and a Phil Barone "New York" piece. Does anyone have any opinons or recomendations on either mouthpiece that would help me choose which to buy? Thanks in advance for the help. -Jeff

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Donnie The B
    (282 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Opinions On a New Mouthpiece

JD- In my opinion, although I own a Barone New York 7 for tenor, you should not buy either mouthpiece blind, although both are top notch. Sometimes you can playtest pieces mailed to you - for a small re-stocking fee + postage - if you use a toothguard. But wouldn't it be better to playtest in an accomodating music store, if possible? If there are none in your area, I still wouldn't spend big bucks on a mouthpiece you might not play more than a half hour. If you insist on one of these, go for the rubber piece - more suitable to the alto sax I feel. Think about this - Jody Espina might give you advice via email as might Phil Barone. Don't lie to them about your age and capabilities. Patrick Springer at springermpc.com makes excellent hand-finished mouthpieces for far less than Jody or Barone, as does Ralph Morgan, available at junkdude.com and elsewhere. Fred Rast makes a wonderful hand finished mouthpiece for about $250 or so, if I recall. (Mr.Springer replied quickly to me on a question as to which piece would suit me the best). Take your time and don't be in a hurry to waste money -- This advice comes from an old guy that has wasted money similarly. Good Luck.

Reply To Post

2. by Linky
    (26 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Opinions On a New Mouthpiece

I don't see your need to upgrade, you have a ridiculously good saxophone with an incredibly highly rated mouthpiece any player would be comfortable playing on. The only thing that would be an advantage is a slightly bigger tip opening if your embouchure is strong enough. It doesn't matter how old you are or what grade you are in, they don't make a certain mouthpiece for sophmore 15 year olds, they make mouthpieces for beginner, intermediate and professional saxophonists with everything in between. I would second the advice not to buy without trying, and get down to your local shop, as for something roughly equivalent to a Meyer 7, though some mouthpieces will be more resistant than others even if the tip opening is the same. You obviously want to consistently upgrade, so it might be worth buying one a step up from what is best suited to you at the moment. It won't be perfect straight away, but it will work your embouchure and you won't feel the need to upgrade again quite so soon.

Reply To Post