Saxophone Forum

by Bluesy
(2 posts)
17 years ago

vintage repair

I have recently acquired an 80 year old Conn alto. It is in horrible disrepair but I am interested in restoring it to make it playable again, I have rudimentary knowledge of small sax repairs, but have never undertaken something so major. any suggestions on books/resources to assist me in getting started?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by blackfrancis
    (396 posts)

17 years ago

Re: vintage repair

The Yellow Pages. If you want the finished product to be right, have a pro with experience on vintage horns do the job. Major overhauls take major ammounts of skill and experience. Maybe you could ask your tech if it would be OK to watch the process with the intention to learn.

Reply To Post

2. by Bluesy
    (2 posts)

17 years ago

Thank you for your advice, however I can't afford to pay the for the repairs and I'm just doing this for fun. I'm skilled at repairing all sorts of things and don't forsee this being a problem, so I'm not really looking for any advice other than the name of a good book or resource that will allow me to do this myself. The repair pros all had to start somewhere but I'm not in a position to take on a professional apprenticeship or anything so I was looking for whatever else the experts on here could provide.

Reply To Post

1. by saxismyaxe
      (575 posts)

17 years ago

Being an amateur woodwind technician myself, I can say that there is a tremendous amount to learn (and I am very mechanically inclined and skilled as well) before you can produce acceptable results. A lot of specialized tools are required too. Never the less, you will find the following down loadable films very helpful, even if you don't speak German: saxwelt.de/index.php?module=ContentExpress&file=index&func=display&ceid=425&meid=329 Should you have any questions, I would be happy to help. My friend Tbone, who is a member of this board and a highly esteemed professional tech, might chime in as well.

Reply To Post

3. by swingstreet
    (315 posts)

17 years ago

NYC repair tech Bill Singer has a good series of videos that explains sax repair. They are in 3 volumes. Check his web site. www.erols.com/bksinger/

Reply To Post

1. by STEVE GOODSON
      (291 posts)

17 years ago

see the DVD section of the online store at www.nationofmusic.com

Reply To Post

1. by Tbone
        (120 posts)

17 years ago

The Reg Thorp manual from www.napbirt.org/ would be a good place to start. Also visit www.musicmedic.com Curt's a heck of a nice guy and a highly skilled tech. His site has tools and supplies at reasonable prices and he's more than willing to help you with email support! Here's a tip to get you started. Get a pin oiler. The ones for re-filling ink cartridges will do in a pinch. Fill it with PBblaster (the best penetrating oil on the planet bar none). You can get it at most auto parts stores. (if you can only find it in a spray can then spray it into a jar and let the foam settle. Then pour it in your pin oiler) Now put a couple drops on every pivot, joint, spring, post, etc. If in doubt, oil it! Let it sit over night and oil it again. Let it sit for a few more hours. Now you can CAREFULLY start to dis-assemble. (keep all screws in their same holes) I,m in no way knocking the above mentioned videos. I have viewed them and they are not without some merit. (stay away from the other videos on flea bay) Most importantly, don't be afraid to ask questions first. good luck and have fun!

Reply To Post