Saxophone Forum

by justawife
(1 post)
17 years ago

MarkVI fan---buying a new tenor--advice please!

My husband is a bari player by desire, but plays tenor by default in one of the Army Bands. He owns a '70 MKVI alto and a '73 MKVI bari. He really wants a tenor, but we aren't in the position to do a MKVI! He currently plays the unit's Yamaha 62 (I believe) and likes it as well. I am considering buying him a new tenor (and have the 30 day trials from both places.) I would appreciate any thoughts on the professional saxophone.com horn vs the P. Mauriat PMXT 66R. I have read so much about both at this point it is hard to know. Everything I have seen about the PM references the "old sound" which I know is a good thing. Can anyone tell me how the sax.com tenor sounds as a comparison to that? It is the one critical bit of info I need to make a good decision. Is it worth the difference in price for the PM? I am trying to do this by his b-day ( in a couple of weeks,) so any info you can give would be greatly appreciated!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by JaZzer
    (25 posts)

17 years ago

Re: MarkVI fan---buying a new tenor--advice please!

I've never heard of saxophone.com. I checked it out, and though it seems like a good deal, I doubt they'd compare to the Mauriats. I have friends that play on Mauriats, and they love them. I've played a few myself, and they're exactly as advertised. If it says the horn has a dark tone, it just does. I even tried a metal mouthpiece with a wedge and high baffle, of course it brightened up the sound, but it was still by all means dark. I've never played a horn like that, but Mauriat suggests it is because of their mixture of metal for each particular horn. Anywho, just a bit of insight. I personally believe the Mauriats have much more credibility, are higher quality, and can offer a higher variety of horns than sax com. Just check out the Mauriat site. They even offer custom (yes, to your specifications) finishes and alterations, unlike other so called "custom" saxophones. Although yamahas are always good and reliable for the price. Happy hunting~

Reply To Post

2. by Donnie The B
    (282 posts)

17 years ago

My lead alto man from my big band in the 1970's went to the Army band. he played an older Mark VI - late 1950's I think. He's now a professor of music. I play a 1961 Mark VI tenor, but recently bought an E.M. Winston tenor - barely used - for under $1000. While I might not use it much, I still sound like me on this cheap horn. Like your other respondent, I've never heard of this sax.com deal so am very skeptical. I've heard that P. Mauriat horns are very good. The Taiwan horns like this are now fairly well thought of, along with Winston, Steve Goodson, F.E. Olds (new) and USA Selmer. I would consider a lightly used Yamaha 62 from the late 1990's for perhaps $1500 - since he likes it. Any chance you could get him to try a bunch of different ones at a big music store? - - - - - Good Luck.

Reply To Post

1. by eman19
      (131 posts)

17 years ago

Definitely try and have him try something first instead of just buying. I know it ruins the surprise, but instruments are a very personal thing. Both you and you're husband will be happier if you buy one in a store that he's tried.

Reply To Post

1. by selmer 4evr
        (309 posts)

17 years ago

Sax has been the hottest instrument for a number of years now and every one is getting on the band wagon trying to cash in ,,,many Taiwan and Korean as well as China horns out there under different badges ,,,but really all made in the same factories ,,few factories doing mass production results in inexpensive horns,, no secret here ,,,,,,I think you would be better off with a modern Yamaha than one of the many stencils out there. As for a metal mixture resulting in a darker sound ,,,no such thing,,,the metal composition changing the sound that much is very fanciful idea ,,that's all . There have been numerous tests done on this ,,,without any noticible difference in sound related to metals used . iwk.mdw.ac.at/Forschung/english/linortner/linortner_e.htm

Reply To Post

2. by mels
      (13 posts)

17 years ago

Get him to try the Mauriats out. They are fantastic horns and I LOVE my 66R, but it is all about getting the right neck on them. When I went to buy mine, the store had two. I played them both and was completely disapointed. As a last ditch effort, I switched the necks on them and found myself with two amazing horns. It was weird, but it works.

Reply To Post