17 years ago

Re: G.H. HULLER ALTO SAX

Keilwerth stencil?

Reply To Post

1. by HULLER
      (3 posts)

17 years ago

I do not know it yet . I need someone to identify it .It is G.H. HULLER FROM 1920 . SERIAL # 24486. , silver with mother pearl keys . Do you know somebody who can help me ( I do not know a lot about saxs and there is no information about huller on internet , I am not able to learn about it). There is no country name just Shoneck fabric.Sombody told me that Huller became Keilwerth but I do not know if this is stencil . Please, try to help me

Reply To Post

1. by Sax Mom
        (964 posts)

17 years ago

If your saxophone is from 1920, it could not be a Keilwerth stencil, as according to Keilwerth's website, the company didnt start until 1925. The website makes no mention of Huller, but that doesn't mean it could not have been an inspiration for Keilwerth. Good luck in your search for further information.

Reply To Post

1. by saxismyaxe
          (575 posts)

17 years ago

Go to: www.ja-musik.com/seiten/index_en.php Huller is a firm who's ascendancy is now B&S Saxophones of JA Musik GmbH firm of Isaak-Eschenbach-Platz 1 D-08258 Markneukirchen, Germany. This firm survived throughout the 1920's to the mid 1950's, and some early examples, as well as their Third Reich marked and engraved horns can be worth a bit of money to collectors. There is also some history and discussion on our board www.saxontheweb.net about these horns. Cheers.

Reply To Post

2. by saxismyaxe
          (575 posts)

17 years ago

By the way, most of their designs relied HEAVILY on Conns of the period, including the keywork, neck tuner, rolled tone holes etc.

Reply To Post

3. by HULLER
          (3 posts)

17 years ago

Thanks so much for your help

Reply To Post

2. by The Kman
        (2 posts)

17 years ago

I have a GH Hüller Schöneck (vgtl) with serial number 44362 L. Can you tell me more about this alto? from which year is this saxophone?

Reply To Post

1. by saxismyaxe
          (575 posts)

17 years ago

Hi Kman, Unfortunately both the Hüller company and their factory catalog listing of serial number production were victims of WWII, and both ceased to exist after 1945 (the company was somewhat absorbed into what as become the present B & S company). Hüller borrowed many of their design concepts from CONN, and those horns that had split bell keys can generally be dated to the 1920's, coinciding with Conn's New Wonder models. Same sided bell keys in the manner of Conn's Artist, or "Naked Lady" models are from the 1930's. Many of their pre war and war time models have Third Reich markings such as the national eagle etc. engraved on them. Other than examining the horn itself via photos, I would be unable to offer any more information regarding the possible and approximate date of manufacture than that. Sarge at World Wide Sax and Dave at Junkdude both offer these from time to time, and would likely be able to help you as well. Cheers.

Reply To Post

1. by The Kman
            (2 posts)

17 years ago

When was the last G.H. Hüller under this name build?

Reply To Post

1. by saxismyaxe
              (575 posts)

17 years ago

Hi Kman, I've emailed you.

Reply To Post

2. by francesca
            (2 posts)

16 years ago

Hi , I have a Huller sax alto serial number 36915 dated 1938 with eagle and third reich marking - silver plated. any idea about the value?

Reply To Post

1. by cuber
              (653 posts)

16 years ago

considerably less in germany, concidering third reich insignias are illegal there

Reply To Post

2. by saxismyaxe
              (575 posts)

16 years ago

Actually the public display of the swastika is illegal, but private ownership of extant and reproduction Third Reich items kept from the public eye is not. Museums displaying these historic relics are an exception. There is a wide audience of WWII German militaria collectors world wide, Germany included, that would be interested in marked horns of this type, as well as the collector looking for out of the ordinary examples to fill his collection. You are honestly likely to get more from the former rather than the latter collector monetarily. This would also depend on whether the markings are for a political group such as the SA NSKK etc., or a military branch such as the Luftwaffe, Heer, or Kriegsmarine. I have yet to see an SS marked sax, and doubt seriously that one exists, as Hitler's condemnation of the instrument and Schräge Musik (Jazz) would be followed to the T by both the Allgemeine and Waffen SS more than any other organization., exceptions from other branches/groups such as your example and others of it's ilk notwithstanding. If you are at a quandary who to contact to sell this, let me know and I can assist you.

Reply To Post

3. by francesca
              (2 posts)

16 years ago

yes please, I would not like ot sell it at all but as I am in need of money I feel quite compelled to do so. If you can assist me I would be very grateful. together with Huller Alto Sax I also have a Franz Muller silver tenor sax from Bremen but I have found no literature about it. it should be of the same period with no SS indentification. I am located in Italy. where are you writing from?

Reply To Post

4. by saxismyaxe
              (575 posts)

16 years ago

I'm located in the Nashville area of the US. I will send you links to contacts I have that will help to put you in touch with interested buyers. By SS, I mean SchutzStaffel as in Waffen SS. I wouldn't expect yours to be marked as such, as I do not believe that such examples ever existed. Your horn is a Luftwaffe (airforce) marked example by the way.

Reply To Post

3. by Roger Aldridge
            (1 post)

15 years ago

Francesca, I recently acquired a Huller alto. Its serial number is 36308. I'm curious about how you were able to date your 36915 horn to 1938. I absolutely love this Huller alto. My repair tech did a superb job with the overhaul. It now looks and feels like a brand new horn. I especially like its distinctive tonal qualities and effortless response in the low range. Over the years I've had Selmer, Buescher, and Conn altos. Without question, this Huller is my favorite. I'm using a Morgan 6C mouthpiece and Optimum ligature (plate #1) on it. Besides the obvious Conn features used in the horn's design, Huller used even more features from Holton. Overall, this is a great horn! Roger

Reply To Post