hi everyone. does anyone out t

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by JBTSAX
    (364 posts)

16 years ago

Re: conn saxophones

This link has a lot of good information: www.saxpics.com/conn/docs/numbers.htm www.saxpics.com started by Pete Hales has a wealth of pictures and information about makes and models of saxophones and their development. John

Reply To Post

1. by bantyrooster3660
      (14 posts)

16 years ago

Re: conn saxophones

hi john, thanks so much for the website info. it answered alot of my questions. but the conn history is quite confusing. but on the same hand verry interesting,and addictive. i gues ill let you in on my dilema.i purchased a 16m,it dates as a 1960. l/h wire bkg,s and my guestion is,is it a nogales horn??? thanks bro. P.J.

Reply To Post

1. by bantyrooster3660
        (14 posts)

16 years ago

where was my horn made???????

ok still im stuck.there is to much of a grey area when it comes to me researching and de-coding this tenor sax. does anyone out there know where was my,16m director. made???????????? s/n is,,8615xx. is it elkhart, ind. or is it nogalas,az.???? so far i know its a 1960.

Reply To Post

2. by SaxRookie
      (2 posts)

16 years ago

Re: conn tenor saxophone

Ditto on the appreciation for the link. I recently bought a Conn Tenor Sax 16 M "Shooting Star" serial #E58424 at a garage sale for $230. The body is in excellent condition, but our local shop said it would cost $300+ to get it into working condition. The instrument is for my h.s. son who is very musically inclined and plans to continue with the sax in college. My question is, is this instrument worth fixing or should I try to sell it and put the $500+ dollars into another tenor sax? Thanks in advance. K

Reply To Post

1. by chalazon
        (547 posts)

16 years ago

fix it..it's worth it

Reply To Post

1. by SaxRookie
          (2 posts)

16 years ago

Thanks!

Reply To Post

2. by JBTSAX
        (364 posts)

16 years ago

The sax you have is not a bad instrument, but I wouldn't consider it the best choice for a student to use in a college music program. The big four: Selmer, Yamaha, Keilwerth, and Yanagasawa all make exceptional tenors that are considered pro horns. They are going to cost more than the Conn which is a student model sax, but any one of these will take your son a lot farther musically and eliminate the need to step up to a better sax later on. A band teacher or private teacher who plays sax could recommend specific models of these and quite often on Ebay you can find a used one in good condition for a fair price. John

Reply To Post