I have a friend who has this B

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by janderson
    (2 posts)

16 years ago

Re: Buescher True Tone Alto

yeah, yeah, ergonomics, blah, blah. It is worth getting over that for the sound result. I love my Buescher True Tone alto 225xxx. The horns around this time seem to be particularly good. (I know a couple of guys that play them) It is a wonderfully crafted, solid, hand made horn--and beautiful, too. The sound is incredibly broad and lively, especially the lower register. However, having a repairman who can set these horns up to bring out the best in them is a must.

Reply To Post

2. by STEVE GOODSON
    (291 posts)

16 years ago

They are extremely common, and don't have a lot of value as a result of supply/demand. That being said, they are OK players, but lack modern saxophone ergonomics and intonation improvements.

Reply To Post

3. by guttersnipe
    (3 posts)

16 years ago

They've got a lot of character and timbre despite their older design. You owe yourself a cruise to Sax on the Web forum for a broad sample of opinion. I've had one (1920's vintage) since 1962. Pretty sweet.

Reply To Post

1. by STEVE GOODSON
      (291 posts)

16 years ago

I agree about the sound, which is very nice. I do have a probolem with the ergonomics. You can buy them for a song, as there are always plenty on the market.

Reply To Post

4. by kneejerk52
    (397 posts)

16 years ago

you must consider what kind of sound you want to know if you'll like that horn or not. i have stencil of one and love it to play old jazz ballads and standards.

Reply To Post

1. by chalazon
      (547 posts)

16 years ago

Steve is right about the ergonomics...I usually iscourage beginner from trying to play on an old tru tone..however, once you've got the blowing thing down..I've played on a few that were in good shape that had a delightful sound and lots of character..they can be a lot of fun..and if you're into that kind of tone will work quire nicely..not real easy to play, tho

Reply To Post

5. by guttersnipe
    (3 posts)

16 years ago

In the interest of full disclosure, I should say that I'm not a professional by any stretch, and am a bit sentimental about the True Tone, the first horn I bought. From a professional perspective, the other commentators are certainly lending good technical advice. My repair guys agree with them regarding the horn's limited value in today's market. But they add that because the horn's materials are well beyond the quality of today's student horns and I am accustomed to it, it is quite adequate to my amateur needs. I also own a YAS 62 tenor that is certainly far more flexible and docile......... if i can ever get used to that modern G# key ;-)

Reply To Post

6. by lekkerman
    (2 posts)

16 years ago

I get a much better sound, less airy, when I play my true tone with another sax neck. Is there a true tone neck model that I can find as a replacement?

Reply To Post

1. by STEVE GOODSON
      (291 posts)

16 years ago

At one time Buescher made 3 different necks, all with different tapers and numbered 1 - 3.

Reply To Post

1. by lekkerman
        (2 posts)

16 years ago

I looked into it, and some necks are better than others. Any ideas where I can find some for sale?

Reply To Post

1. by STEVE GOODSON
          (291 posts)

16 years ago

They are very hard to find, and be prepared to pay big money if you find one

Reply To Post