(4 posts)

16 years ago

Re: Martin Saxophones

Reply To Post

1. by cuber
      (653 posts)

16 years ago

I think the reason Martins are underpriced is because no jazz legend/giant played one (Art Pepper played one, but he never had to affect on jazz as, say, Parker) I think martins sound good, their keywork is good, they just dont have a big name who played them

Reply To Post

2. by oldschool
    (5 posts)

16 years ago

The 1954 "The Martin Baritone" used in 2 of our bands is really a great sounding horn. My Conn tranny has a very sophisticated sound, but the Martin totally blows it away for R&B/Soul pops with a fat sound that is tremendous. The keywork may not be world class, but it is certainly adequate. The voice of the horn is rich, complex, and really strong when you need it. All the other musicians get pumped up by this bari. The midrange is full and has a nice even timbre and the top octave fairly sings. Sounds better than most other baris I've worked with. (Except, of course, my Mulligan!)

Reply To Post

1. by cuber
      (653 posts)

16 years ago

if youve played a The Martin _____, you still have to admit the action is damn fast

Reply To Post

1. by oldschool
        (5 posts)

16 years ago

The only The Martin I have only ever played is the bari. It is true the action is not shabby, by any means. Yanis and Selmer's I've played were slicker, but I prefer the Martin's voice. Especially from the middle on up, it blows most baris away, but I will admit to a bias for my sweet Conn.

Reply To Post

1. by cuber
          (653 posts)

16 years ago

there are a couple quirks that take time to get used to, and the conn keywork on the m series, well, puts most modern keywork to shame

Reply To Post

2. by swingstreet
        (315 posts)

16 years ago

I own a 1954 "The Martin Alto", and it equals my Conn 6M in punch and clarity, and as far as I'm concerned, can stand up to or better any Mark VI I've tried, and I've tried lots of them. I'm working in a brass and woodwind shop now, so I get a lot of opportunity to see lots of horns. Martins are among the best, especially their sound. Great horns.

Reply To Post

1. by cuber
          (653 posts)

16 years ago

no arguing with that

Reply To Post

1. by chalazon
            (547 posts)

16 years ago

the top end Martin horns are lovely instruments, with a fat vintage sound..very cool.

Reply To Post

1. by cuber
              (653 posts)

16 years ago

every time i play mine im amazed by how it sounds and the speed of the action

Reply To Post