Saxophone Forum

by justabandgrl
(12 posts)
20 years ago

spiff up the sax

I have a keilsworth st 90 alto and it needs a makeover. I mean there aren't any major problems with it and it plays awesomly, it just hasn't has any full tuneups since I've had it. (6 yrs) Soo besides pad replacements (200bux) and a reasonably not expensive mouth piece plus some shining stuf, what else can I do to really spiff the thing up? I have about 600 bux to spend and I don't care if I use all of it, I'm not selling the sax anytime soon. Thoughts?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by sax_maniac
    (984 posts)

20 years ago

Re: spiff up the sax

It's not worth dumping too much money into that horn - just enough to keep it playing and sounding the way you want is absolutely appropriate. Extranneous "spiffing" wouldn't be a good move, in my opinion. I'd put your priority on a new mouthpiece (what are you playing now and what do you want to pursue musically?), then maybe pads if they really needed replacing. There may come a day when you want to pursue a different horn (maybe not) so I'd take what extra you have after the mouthpiece and pads and sock it away for a pro-jobbie if/when the day comes you want to "go for it".

Reply To Post

1. by justabandgrl
      (12 posts)

20 years ago

yea maybe I did sound that I was willing to go all out, but thats not exactly what I meant. But yes the pads do need replacing desperately, but no I'm not looking into a new horn. The mouthpiece is on my list and I just have the some standard selmer hard rubber one (i dont even know what it iz I've had it so long) but I do want to go to the music store and try out some different rubber ones, I don't want and I don't feel I'm ready for metal yet, although I am probaly going to play more jazz stuff anyways. Thanks for the responce and the whole purpose of me "spiffing" was that I need to thank the horn whom has served me since the sqeaking days of 4th grade and that has remained true all these years. (thats why I'm not selling it, and it still plays awesomely too)

Reply To Post AIM

1. by Spunky2sax75
        (75 posts)

20 years ago

Not to sound like a jerk or anything, but I don`t the sax itself knows the difference whether or not you spiff it up. I agree with SaxMan, you should get the pads and mouthpiece first. I also agree with his idea of stashin the extra money away for a new sax once you have the essentials of that one down. I think you would be better off with a Selmer or possibly Yanagisawa. You should look into getting a new horn, because there are brands out there that are leaps and bounds ahead of the Keilworths. Well, I hope you at least take some of it into consideration and good look pimping out your horn lol.

Reply To Post

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
          (767 posts)

20 years ago

Well, if the horn has leaks and other problems, I see no reason why having it fixed shouldn't be the first priority. $600 should be able to get the necessary repairs, a new mouthpiece, and perhaps a bit to spare.

Reply To Post

2. by sax_maniac
        (984 posts)

20 years ago

I know exactly what you mean, JAB. I still have my Bundy II that was my first horn - brand new in 1980. It ain't going to get much prettier than it is, but it plays so well and means so much to me that I will do whatever it takes to keep it playing through the years. It's also a horn I will use for demonstration with new players to show them you don't require a shiny new pro horn to play well. It will be worth to have any major dents knocked out and pads in good condition. I just wouldn't go so far as to have it relaquered or engraved down the road.

Reply To Post

2. by golferguy675
      (600 posts)

20 years ago

What set of pads are you looking at getting? And what mouthpiece? My advice is to try a whole bunch of different jazz mouthpieces. A jazz piece a lot of students and some pros as well are using is the Otto Link Tone Edge, which is hard rubber. The older metal links are great too. I have a 54 NY vintage Link for tenor, and I've found nothing better. Also maybe try a Meyer. I would reccommend a Meyer too maybe. A lot of people go with the 5m, but get a 6m, you'll get a way bigger sound. And as far as Otto Link, try a 6*, or a 7 if you can put enough air through it; you'll definetly need a lighter reed going to that from a standard selmer, because of the bigger chamber.

Reply To Post