Saxophone Forum

by horseyladee
(4 posts)
20 years ago

Maxtone-Remstein-Helmke alto sax

These are all on e-bay-is any one better than the other each one is around $250.00 so do I get what I pay for which is a cheap sax or will this work as a good reliable instrument for my daughter through jr. and sr. high? Does any one have any input on any one or all of these-scared single mother

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
    (767 posts)

20 years ago

Re: Maxtone-Remstein-Helmke alto sax

----------------------------------------------------------------------------- These are all on e-bay-is any one better than the other each one is around $250.00 so do I get what I pay for which is a cheap sax or will this work as a good reliable instrument for my daughter through jr. and sr. high? Does any one have any input on any one or all of these-scared single mother ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ I haven't tried any of these, but their reputation from credible sources (technicians, veteran players, and instructors) indicates that they are horrible. The names on these horns changes once in a while and a lot of these types of brands are the same horn under a different nameplate all made in the same factory in mainland asia. To provide them at such a low pricepoint requires a lot of sacrifices in terms of quality and refinement, even considering that the cost of labor is so low in the countries where they're made. From what I gather, these instruments will provide little in the way of reliability and possibly much in the way of frustration to the fledgeling player. I would look into renting or possibly purchasing a used Selmer Bundy or Student Conn from a local shop for around $450.

Reply To Post

1. by spida
      (12 posts)

20 years ago

Just to let you know, I have very little knowledge about saxophones but want to start to play so I've been reading everything I can about the semi-infamous deal that the guys on ebay are offering. So, I'll keep this neutral. From beginners the comments are usually good but no-one I've read about has had theirs for more than a year. (But as johnson said, maybe a name change occourred around this time) So far I've not read any bad feedback about the silver alto helmke model, most people say that it's easier for a beginner to control, and is suitable for intermediate to beginners. All negative (about other models) seems to be from people who know their saxes, and they seem to have been landed with a near-unplayable sax. So I've come to the conclusion that because these are obviously churned out fairly rapidly their quality control is perhaps a little, shall we say, lacklustre. But the sellers to have a 7-day satisfaction guarantee so this should be enough time to ask your daughters teacher (I play many other instruments, and I always feel that a teacher is more credible than a music shop) to give it the once-over. If he/she says it's a dud, it's back to the drawing board, but at least all you have lost is some time and the shipping cost. I was a little put off by the fact that they word most of their adverts EXACTLY the same (more churning goin on) and their semi-outraged replies to negative feedback. But, out of 600 or so people who gave feedback, only 16 had negative/neutral comments. See

Reply To Post

2. by shawnee girl
    (2 posts)

20 years ago

I just bought the Helmke Silver Alto Sax for my 6th grader. I got it on ebay and received it two days after I ordered it. I have taken it to three band directors and they have all said it sounds good and they thought it would be a good horn for a beginner. But they did warn about parts and repair. I have found this site in my search. My concern is all the reviews I have read is peoples oppions and not someone who has really USED the instrument. That is what I have been looking for! I guess I will go with what our Band director said and used it with the risk of repair. It is a beautiful sax and I like the sound. Good luck from another concerned mother!

Reply To Post

1. by NickelPlated
      (20 posts)

20 years ago

NOPE

Hey guys listen up I just bought a Maxtone. They are not made in Asia: look for yourself imagehost.auctionwatch.com/bin/viewimage.x/00000000/racefan36/nklalto7.jpg?&&pt=bidpay So dont say anything if you dun know it ok? thx :)

Reply To Post

1. by k-factor
        (5 posts)

19 years ago

Re: NOPE

It clearly says "by French Engineers" meaning the design, NOT the manufacturing location. If it actually said "Made in France" then it would be. Buy one that says "Made" in US, Japan or France.

Reply To Post

2. by NickelPlated
      (20 posts)

20 years ago

NOPE

Hey guys listen up I just bought a Maxtone. They are not made in Asia: look for yourself imagehost.auctionwatch.com/bin/viewimage.x/00000000/racefan36/nklalto7.jpg?&&pt=bidpay So dont say anything if you dun know it ok? thx :)

Reply To Post

1. by NickelPlated
        (20 posts)

20 years ago

By the WAy

By the way, as the other person said, all the feedback seems great. The buyer i got it from has had like 420 feedback and absolutley NONE negatives./ See for yourself:: feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=36racefan :)

Reply To Post

2. by johnsonfromwisconsin
        (767 posts)

20 years ago

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hey guys listen up I just bought a Maxtone. They are not made in Asia: look for yourself imagehost.auctionwatch.com/bin/viewimage.x/00000000/racefan36/nklalto7.jpg?&&pt=bidpay So dont say anything if you dun know it ok? thx :) ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- You should follow your own advice by making sure you know what you are looking at, mkay? Do you know what "French Engineering" means? It means nothing. It's a marketing tactic to get you to think like you are. What "French" firm did the design? What does that have to do with the quality of the build. The whole thing is smoke-and-mirrors marketing.

Reply To Post

1. by golferguy675
          (600 posts)

20 years ago

I refer yee to my posts on Nickel Plated's Maxtone thread in accordance to Johnson's post. : )

Reply To Post

2. by NickelPlated
          (20 posts)

20 years ago

what ever you jealous pieces of shit

Reply To Post

3. by golferguy675
          (600 posts)

20 years ago

Re: .

I know, I'm so jealous! I shouldn't have gotten that Yamaha Custom or old damn Mark VI, I should've gotten the ebay French engineered Maxtone! Darn! ; )

Reply To Post

4. by johnsonfromwisconsin
          (767 posts)

20 years ago

------------------------------------------------------------- what ever you jealous pieces of shit ------------------------------------------------------------- Why would I be jealous of a $240 horn? I could buy one quite easily if I were inclined to waste my money to such an effect.

Reply To Post

5. by Saxman2200
          (64 posts)

19 years ago

hey guys, knock it off, were supposed to be helping remember? I'm sorry dude, if you talk to anyone with expirience those horns are bad news. They are tiawaneese made (yes they say by freanch engineer, that could mean some guy with a freanch accent drew it once) and they have inferrier parts. After a little while it WILL need repairs (as all horns do) and most techs will not een touch them, they are almost like fiberglass. The tone, action, and intonation are Ok, not great but ok, however if you buy one dont plan on having it for more than 6 months or so. I would HIGHLY discourage you from those brands who are not the mainstream (yes higher priced) saxes, and I think every pro out there to help would agree (you will NEVER see a pro on one). I'm sorry that you diddnt get help sooner, but I thought that someone else would take care of it (and not have an immature little hissy fit) because this is deffinatly not the first time this has been posted, alot of us are a little tired of answearing this question, it shows up just about every other day. Dont worry, you are not the first to fall for their marketing.

Reply To Post

6. by Saxman2200
          (64 posts)

19 years ago

oh, by the way, just read your link, and there is a bad reveiw right on the first page, it says BUYERS BEWARE!

Reply To Post

7. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: . Jealous Pieces of...

Jealous of what? Your inferrior Chinese piece of junk? I have looked at several of these cheap horns marketed under various names; Helmke, Maxtone, Monique, Millwaukee, Band Now, they're all about the same. Many are probably built by the same company. The quality is very poor. The pewter keys break easily and cannot be re-soldered. The pads are very poor quality. Most are not even leather, and if they last a year, you're lucky. A quality re-pad costs more than the horn! Many techs will not even work on them because you can't warrenty something when the quality is this bad! If you buy one of these cheap Chinese instruments, you're throwing your money away!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

8. by invocansax
          (27 posts)

19 years ago

can i just ad this guys...the bad feedback is from people who have not used the horn, well its because the more experienced players KNOW what not to even touch. i can SPEAK with authority here because up until a month ago i was using a schill tenor as a back up horn (we all become stupid sometimes) to my yts-61 tenor...jims right the keys are made of pewter aka table utensil metal, the bendable ones. Yes ...they CANNOT be soldered...and while the action and intonation was "fine", it would be useless if your keys broke all the time. so im not saying this to diss the people who have these horns, what im saying is if youve got 250 usd, just save up a little more and get a second hand quality horn. please dont be deceived by the fancy marketing or the shiny new horn because in the end its the sound that counts. dont make the mistake i did, these horns will not last. so unless you can figure out a way to fix your own horn...better stay away because NO tech will repair them. I hope this will serve as a warning, it comes from someone who actually TRIED to justify these horns from the start only to realize that the comments of the other players were right. how will you iprove your playing if your horns always in the shop. THERe ARE GOOD VINTAGE OR SECOND HAND HORNS OUT THERe, believe me, all my yamahas are second hand...and im very happy. The schill (which is basically helmke) is now a table ornament in my living room. Please listen to the others advise there here to help. Now if you already bought the "chiny" horn, well just make use of it, and upgrade, theres really nothing you can do for now...oh yeah..the MAXTONE horn, its made in CHINA by the Taishan Guanyue company. The so called "Parrot" horn is sold as J.Schmidt in other areas. Just to warn you these are the horns made in china by the same company there usually stmped with french engineering or in the case of the helmkes, german engineering. the chiny horns are: 1. parrot 2. lark 3. j. schmidt 4. regal 5. helmke/schill 6. monique 7. jinyin 8. band now 9. fernando 10. maxtone . please be aware that the "Chateau" brand is made in taiwan. I hope this ends the fact that this question keeps getting asked.

Reply To Post

9. by invocansax
          (27 posts)

19 years ago

can i just ad this guys...the bad feedback is from people who have not used the horn, well its because the more experienced players KNOW what not to even touch. i can SPEAK with authority here because up until a month ago i was using a schill tenor as a back up horn (we all become stupid sometimes) to my yts-61 tenor...jims right the keys are made of pewter aka table utensil metal, the bendable ones. Yes ...they CANNOT be soldered...and while the action and intonation was "fine", it would be useless if your keys broke all the time. so im not saying this to diss the people who have these horns, what im saying is if youve got 250 usd, just save up a little more and get a second hand quality horn. please dont be deceived by the fancy marketing or the shiny new horn because in the end its the sound that counts. dont make the mistake i did, these horns will not last. so unless you can figure out a way to fix your own horn...better stay away because NO tech will repair them. I hope this will serve as a warning, it comes from someone who actually TRIED to justify these horns from the start only to realize that the comments of the other players were right. how will you iprove your playing if your horns always in the shop. THERe ARE GOOD VINTAGE OR SECOND HAND HORNS OUT THERe, believe me, all my yamahas are second hand...and im very happy. The schill (which is basically helmke) is now a table ornament in my living room. Please listen to the others advise there here to help. Now if you already bought the "chiny" horn, well just make use of it, and upgrade, theres really nothing you can do for now...oh yeah..the MAXTONE horn, its made in CHINA by the Taishan Guanyue company. The so called "Parrot" horn is sold as J.Schmidt in other areas. Just to warn you these are the horns made in china by the same company there usually stmped with french engineering or in the case of the helmkes, german engineering. the chiny horns are: 1. parrot 2. lark 3. j. schmidt 4. regal 5. helmke/schill 6. monique 7. jinyin 8. band now 9. fernando 10. maxtone . please be aware that the "Chateau" brand is made in taiwan. I hope this ends the fact that this question keeps getting asked.

Reply To Post

10. by frodolives
          (1 post)

18 years ago

Hey. I play alto right now and ive been playing for 7 years. I really wanna play a soprano but i dont have the cash to buy a really expensive one. My first thought was a used one or to look for one on ebay. Well, i just have one thing to say.... WTF is Selman?!

Reply To Post