Saxophone Forum

by jcalmiller
(3 posts)
16 years ago

Need help identifying a vintage Conn alto sax

I'm trying to identify the model and value of a Conn alto sax, serial number 76015. The engraving on the bell reads CONN with USA underneath. Comes with original case. Any ideas?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by jcalmiller
    (3 posts)

16 years ago

Re: Need help identifying a vintage Conn alto sax

I've posted some pics at the following address: home.windstream.net/jcmiller4 Any help would be appreciated.

Reply To Post

2. by JerryOakville
    (2 posts)

16 years ago

It was built in 1921... likely around September based on its serial # 1921 began #64,000± 1922 began #83,000.±

Reply To Post

1. by Benconn
      (1 post)

16 years ago

Need help identifying a vintage Conn alto sax

I also have a Conn alto Sax with USA on it just like the one shown in your picture only mine has the serial #4614. Does anyone know how old this is, or a guesstimate of the value? It has new pads. Thanks

Reply To Post

1. by saxismyaxe
        (575 posts)

16 years ago

This is NOT a 1921 New Wonder Series I, it is a late 1950's (1958/59 to be exact) Conn "Director" 14M student Alto sax, commonly referred to as a "Shooting Star". There is likely a serial number anomaly, as Conn numbers shifted around 1963 to letter prefix serial numbers. This number does NOT correspond to the published serial number charts for Conn, but is most definitely a Director model. I've answered your inquiry in similar manner in your post on our Saxontheweb.net forum as well. Cheers.

Reply To Post

1. by jcalmiller
          (3 posts)

16 years ago

Thanks for the info. Any idea as to its resale value?

Reply To Post

2. by saxismyaxe
          (575 posts)

16 years ago

Unfortunately these are neither rare, in demand, or go for much money. I'd expect around $250 to $300.

Reply To Post

2. by anie
        (2 posts)

16 years ago

I have an elkheart alto sax, with the serial # 6 20-26 on it it has an in graving on it the says elkheart inside of a heart with an elk on top of the hart . an origanal case with a metal plate on it that reads buescher and elkheart IND. on it with a purpel velvet matrial on the inside. i know that this is more than likey posted in the wrong catagory............but any in formation would be apricated. THANK YOU

Reply To Post

1. by saxismyaxe
          (575 posts)

16 years ago

Elkhart (correct spelling) was Buescher's second line, or student to intermediate line of horns before the mid 1960's buyout of the company by Selmer USA. Yours is a 20A model, which has rather thin brass construction, so use care when handling it. These are based on the very early progenitor of the True Tone model, but not in the same league. The date of manufacture is around 1920/1921, which would be in keeping with your description of the period case and it's purple cotton velvet lining. These are nice sounding horns, with usable if not antiquated keywork, but not worth a lot monetarily alas.

Reply To Post

1. by anie
            (2 posts)

16 years ago

Tahnk you very much, any information about my insturment is wonderful, but i forgot to mention that this alto is sliver in coulor and is a farily heavy. Dose this make a differnce?? P.S thank you so much for answering me on a long weekend.

Reply To Post