Saxophone Forum

by phlip773
(10 posts)
16 years ago

What To Do Next?

Recently I got a very nice King Zephyr from saxquest and its a great horn, but just not the one for me. I guess I need to sell it, but then comes the problem of what to try and get next. I really want a vintage horn, but with the cost I'm not sure if vits gonna be worth it. Any advice would be great. P.J.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Donnie The B
    (282 posts)

16 years ago

Re: What To Do Next?

P.J.- The keywork on many vintage horns is not as comfortable for most hands as on newer ones. The Selmer SBA improved the ergonomics some - the Mark VI nailed it. The Selmer Mark VI keywork is so much faster for me than the 1930's and 1940's horns, I just can't bring myself to play an older sax, even though I Have an urge for a rolled tone hole Conn 10M or a late 1930's or 1940's King Zephyr Special, or a Martin Committee from that period. By the 1960's most horns were getting pretty comfortable to play for most people. Unfortunately, some of the American manufacturers were going downhill by this point. I've heard if you're going to get a Conn 10m or a King Super 20 or The Martin pro models, don't get one newer than the late 1950's - but I don't know for sure on this. I do know that you would likely find a Yamaha pretty easy to play and I think you can get a lightly used pro model (62 maybe) for $2000 or less. You might also consider the late 1990's/early 2000's pro line of Selmer Paris horns. I have a student who just loves his early Selmer Mark VII which was pretty cheap, due to the prejudice against this model. There's always going to be someone like me who eventually gives in to an urge to try a great vintage horn like your Zephyr. Save some money for a private teacher. ( I'm available!) And practice an average of an hour or more a day. Clean your horn well each time you play. Someday, even if you get a 2000 model horn, you'll have a vintage sax! Good Luck.

Reply To Post