Saxophone Forum

by jndkmllr
(1 post)
16 years ago

Selmer Radio Improved

Hi, I'm thinking about getting a Selmer Radio Improved Sax. Any info about them would be welcome. What are the going prices for one?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by newreedsyndrome
    (343 posts)

16 years ago

Re: Selmer Radio Improved

Why are you thinking about getting a Selmer Radio Improved? The are very old horns, and many improvements to the saxophone have been made since then. Before the SBAs, Selmer's horns were not ideal instruments. I would strongly suggest looking into a newer horn, or if you want an old Selmer, look into a SBA or a Mark VI.

Reply To Post

2. by newreedsyndrome
    (343 posts)

16 years ago

Why are you thinking about getting a Selmer Radio Improved? The are very old horns, and many improvements to the saxophone have been made since then. Before the SBAs, Selmer's horns were not ideal instruments. I would strongly suggest looking into a newer horn, or if you want an old Selmer, look into a SBA or a Mark VI.

Reply To Post

3. by Davidjazz
    (1 post)

16 years ago

I don't know if you're curious, or if an opportunity knocked; I just saw your post. After owning about a dozen Selmer tenors, I currently play a Selmer Radio Improved. The keywork is definitely old school and only playable with LARGE hands- particularly the left pinky cluster, but the tone is unbelievable. I consider it a trade-off. Prices are hard to speculate; there's not that many around... If you want a fat, vintage sound, there's lots of good pro horns between 1930 and 1960 that will get a similar sound for less. If you don't mind awkward keywork, have you tried any older Conns or Bueschers? They're cheaper, and easier to find.

Reply To Post

1. by chalazon
      (547 posts)

16 years ago

i had the opportunity to work on a radio improved..it was in great shape, and the tone was wonderful..if you dig it, get it.

Reply To Post

4. by [email protected]
    (1 post)

16 years ago

hi the selmer radio tenor is what i call a slow horn but i think they have a fantastic sound, big fat soft ,colman hawkins,lester young dexter gordon ect and if you wont to play fast take a mk vi but thir common for players iv got a radio improved got it from the brox live in the uk best thing i did i love it! if you got the chance get it! price i paid 4500 dollers 4 years ago then 3000 pounds id never sell it check out you tube pendragon 2 AM good luck

Reply To Post