Saxophone Forum

by parrot
(3 posts)
16 years ago

Can Someone Help Determine Date of CONN Sax?

I have a working Conn alto sax with the following serial number: M242567. Centered under the number is an L. The instrument is silver plated and engraved C.G. Conn LTD Elkhardt - IND USA PATD Dec 8, 1914 1119954 A. Is it from the 1920's and what would it be worth? Thanks for any info, Ray

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxismyaxe
    (575 posts)

16 years ago

Re: Can Someone Help Determine Date of CONN Sax?

Your's is a 1930/31 late model Conn New Wonder Series II "Chu Berry", low pitch sax. Without photos it would be impossible to tell, but it COULD be an early "Transitional" model. Value is Dependant on a number of things (condition, whether it has been repadded and set up or not, finish type, engraving, whether it's a transitional or not), so a valuation is going to be sketchy. If it is damage free, I would count on at least $800 up to $1,200 or more, or in that ball park. These were/are nice, pro horns in their day.

Reply To Post

1. by parrot
      (3 posts)

16 years ago

Hi: Thanks for the reply. I bought it about 15 years ago, learned how to play the sax on it, and then put it away for the last 12 years. Now that I am retired I am having some fun starting to play again. It still plays well with I nice, deep tone, so it must have been repadded. If you would like to see it up close I have some pictures, but I would need an email address to send them to you. I don't think I can do it on this reply system. Thaks anyway for your help. Ray

Reply To Post

1. by saxismyaxe
        (575 posts)

16 years ago

Hi Ray, I thank you for the photos. As I mentioned in my email reply, you have a splendid example of a silver plated, Art Deco engraved "Transitional" Conn alto. A wonderful player that you should definitely hang on to. They are highly valued and coveted among collectors and players alike, and most worthy of a repad and adjustment. You should retire that student Vito, and play this beauty, no doubt about it! VERY nice horn you have. Cheers.

Reply To Post

1. by parrot
          (3 posts)

16 years ago

Hey: Thanks so much for your reply...you made my day. I will definitely keep the Conn alto. In fact, you have inspired me to really get back into playing the saxophone. Maybe retiring isn't the end of things, but just an opportunity to get back into better things. Thanks again, Ray

Reply To Post