Saxophone Forum

by JBTSAX
(364 posts)
16 years ago

Has Anyone Tried the Cannonball Vintage?

As the title says, has anyone tried the Vintage saxes that are new from Cannonball this year? There has been a good response on other forums so far. Since there has been some misinformation given about my relationship with the Cannonball company, let me set the record straight. I am a retired music teacher who has gone into woodwind repair as a second profession. I am an hourly employee in a repair shop of a music store that carries Cannonball, Yamaha, Accent, and Keilwerth saxes. I do not represent the store or the Cannonball company when I post my opinions on these forums, I speak only for myself. I have worked on and played the Cannonball line of saxes since they first came out and as a result, I am familiar the brand. I also know and respect Cannonball's owners Tevis and Sheryl Laukat for their business acumen, their honesty and integrity, and their unbounded enthusiasm for making the best instruments possible. John

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by kneejerk52
    (397 posts)

16 years ago

Re: Has Anyone Tried the Cannonball Vintage?

i am planning a trip to Lewis and sons music in quakertown to see if the stock any, i know they are a dealer and i want to compare altos of different brands to see. I will let you know the results when i get there. i read the web for their store and it seems to be a all around top notch store, pro teachers, senior repair techs and experiences sales staff. can't wait to get there and try the pm's, cannon's side by side.

Reply To Post

2. by saxxsymbol
    (217 posts)

16 years ago

John you work at a music shop in the same town as Cannonball hdqtrs and know the owners personally. The owner of the store and the owners of Cannonball have a "mutually supportive" relationship according to you. I don't know what that means exactly but it sounds as if they share some financial interest of some kind that is not quite clear yet. Maybe they share space, maybe there are loans, I don't know, but don't make it sound as if the store where you work is just any old Cannonball dealer.These folks are friends of yours. Just be open about it, John. No smoking gun by any means, but the appearance is not right.

Reply To Post

1. by saxxsymbol
      (217 posts)

16 years ago

P.S. I don't think a new horn called vintage is what they had in mind for this thread.

Reply To Post

1. by chalazon
        (547 posts)

16 years ago

hey, mr. symbol how cum you never talk about anything but your little issue with jbt..just curious..and i don't really know what they had in mind for this thread

Reply To Post

1. by saxxsymbol
          (217 posts)

16 years ago

HE SAID HE WAS PERSONALLY OFFENDED BY MY CHOICE OF HORNS PURCHASED AND HAS ATTACKED ME PERSONALLY AND PUBLICLY WITHOUT ANY BASIS IN FACTS ON ANOTHER FORUM ON A MATTER TOTALLY UNRELATED TO SAXOPHONES OR MANUFACTURERS. HE MADE IT HIS BUSINESS TO WORRY ABOUT MINE SO I AM MAKING IT MY BUSINESS TO WORRY ABOUT HIS. THE THREAD IS CALLED "VINTAGE SAXOPHONES" I WONDER WHAT THEY MEANT? John has stated on another forum when someone brought up the BS on Cannonballs site about resonance stones and John told him to MYOB and just try the horns yet John does not extend that to others. John has stated on another forum that he was offended by someone who uses religion in their sig. or posts such things in their business with religious reference or references to God, yet Cannonball talks of divine inspiration for their products and company and John himself has used religious references such as " god speed to you " in his own posts. John protests the posting of private PM's on another forum yet does that exact thing on yet another when it serves his purpose. Now that John has come to my attention and his ire was directed at me I am offended by him. John likes to start fights I like to finish them. Hope this answers your question.

Reply To Post

2. by chalazon
          (547 posts)

16 years ago

sho' nuff

Reply To Post

3. by chalazon
          (547 posts)

16 years ago

gee..I don't recall reading this post where john sai he was personally offended by your purchase..perhaps you could refresh my memory..and why would you care if you offended him ..seems like you might dig it..and where are these attacks ..I suppose the public ones, since the private ones are probably private, and why do you care SO MUCH. and what do you really hope to accomplish, and oh yeah..you really do sound like steve

Reply To Post

4. by saxxsymbol
          (217 posts)

16 years ago

The public attack was quickly deleted by the mods at SOTW. I printed it before it was deleted. The offending comments were in PM's. Anyone care to bet that I am Steve or that I even know him? Do you feel strongly enough to bet on it with some cash? How about 1K ? or 10K ? any takers ?

Reply To Post

5. by chalazon
          (547 posts)

16 years ago

and, oh yeah....whatever....

Reply To Post

6. by Tranesyadaddy
          (279 posts)

16 years ago

does anyone here think that ISN'T Steve?

Reply To Post

7. by Tranesyadaddy
          (279 posts)

16 years ago

God and religion aren't necessarily mutually inclusive.

Reply To Post

8. by Tranesyadaddy
          (279 posts)

16 years ago

Steve, just fess up. you'll feel better and nobody will think any less of you.

Reply To Post

9. by chalazon
          (547 posts)

16 years ago

tranesyadaddy..you statement concerning god and religion is one of the most entirely profound statements i've heard in quite some time ..right on.!...and, how'r things down under?

Reply To Post

10. by JBTSAX
          (364 posts)

16 years ago

This thread couldn't have been hijacked any more effectively had it been done by the Saxgourmet himself. How about getting back to the topic: Has Anyone Tried the Cannonball Vintage? John

Reply To Post

11. by chalazon
          (547 posts)

16 years ago

you're right about the thread being hijacked..i was wondering how long it would be before some one brought that up..I haven't tried the CB vintage yet, but I aim to as soon as the local dealer gets one in stock...I"m not in the market for a new horn myself, but I'm always interested in instruments to refer my students to - horns that are available locally...I,m finding the CB's to be steadally improving..went to the web site, and they look great, although I must admit, I haven't the slightest idea how sticking a stone on the neck piece is going to improve anything. But, I'll be the first to tell you that I don't know everything, so I guess it could be possible.

Reply To Post

12. by saxxsymbol
          (217 posts)

16 years ago

John , you are the master hijacker. I bow to your greatness.

Reply To Post

13. by JBTSAX
          (364 posts)

16 years ago

And you Chuck are the master at baiting people to respond to your posts. :) I'll let folks figure out YOUR title for themselves. : ) John

Reply To Post

14. by saxxsymbol
          (217 posts)

16 years ago

Now that you mention it John I thought you might want to see this .The store is right here in Florida. I helped set up a retail billiards store near there and saw it as I drove by . If you retire down here they might be looking for help if you have any experience with bait. masterbaitonline.com

Reply To Post

15. by Tranesyadaddy
          (279 posts)

16 years ago

yeah if the saxophone thing doesn't work out I'm gonna try my hand at being a guru. or I could combine the two and be Australia's Steve Goodson. things are quite nice at the moment thanks chalazon despite it being the middle of winter and my state being run by a mafia-like cabal. horn-wise I've never seen a cannonball around these parts but if I saw one next to S.G, I think I'd reach for the S.G first. what do they say about no publicity is bad publicity?

Reply To Post

16. by Tranesyadaddy
          (279 posts)

16 years ago

he wouldn't be getting any of my money though.

Reply To Post

17. by chalazon
          (547 posts)

16 years ago

Chuck..?

Reply To Post

18. by chalazon
          (547 posts)

16 years ago

man...I was hoping y'all would start talking `bout the little stone on the neck piece...shucks!

Reply To Post

19. by chalazon
          (547 posts)

16 years ago

y'know, TD, oddly enuff, my nation's being run by a mafia-like cabal..and it's summer, and hotter than ##..and, oh yeah, what do you think of glueing little rocks to your neck piece..just curious...

Reply To Post

20. by Tranesyadaddy
          (279 posts)

16 years ago

I saw the cannonball vid on youtube where they talk about the stone, but I'm not convinced. I think anything extraneous like that affixed to the neck would have a dampening effect and affect the tone adversely. even the Selmer badge on the neck (SML do the same) I think is a bad idea. I once played a horn which was more or less a prototype with a bare unadorned neck and it had the fattest sound of any alto I've ever played. now the guy is more established and puts a badge there, like Selmer do, and the sound is nowhere near as good, imho.

Reply To Post

21. by Tranesyadaddy
          (279 posts)

16 years ago

I should say SML *did* the same.

Reply To Post

22. by Tranesyadaddy
          (279 posts)

16 years ago

the brace on the sml neck coul probably go too.

Reply To Post

23. by chalazon
          (547 posts)

16 years ago

I have a friend who plays a yamaha custom. he buffed all the plating off of the neck piece hoping it would give him a darker sound..he told me he couldn't tell any difference..now he has a really ugly neck piece...I dunno..I'll have to watch the you tube video if i can find it..maybe I'll try hot glueing a couple of pebbles on my tenor neck and see if it makes me sound like Dexter Gordon..nothing else has so far. g'day

Reply To Post

24. by chalazon
          (547 posts)

16 years ago

so i got on line and watched the video..man, they really are gorgeous horns...and the players playing them really can play. The people producing them seem like nice folks..out of Utah, I believe..I kinda like the idea of keeping at least some of the money close to home..and there is a dealer close by with a repair tech..parts are avaliable..I think the stone on the neck looks pretty hip..lots of guys rave about them..guess I'll go play on a couple and see how the air flows..

Reply To Post

25. by Tranesyadaddy
          (279 posts)

16 years ago

step aside Dexter ;)

Reply To Post

26. by chalazon
          (547 posts)

16 years ago

in my dreams

Reply To Post

27. by JBTSAX
          (364 posts)

16 years ago

The Cannonball Vintage does not have a stone on the neck. John

Reply To Post

28. by saxxsymbol
          (217 posts)

16 years ago

If the stones really help why don't they have them?

Reply To Post

29. by chalazon
          (547 posts)

16 years ago

GO AWAY..

Reply To Post

30. by saxxsymbol
          (217 posts)

16 years ago

Me? You go away.......I will tell your mommy.

Reply To Post

31. by JBTSAX
          (364 posts)

16 years ago

The Vintage Saxes all have a "Made in Taiwan" sticker affixed to the area right below the thumbrest to comply with the law requiring imported instruments to be marked with the country of origin so the ultimate purchaser knows where it was manufactured. It is commonplace for different models produced by the same company to have different features to give customers different choices. If they all had the same features there would be no need for different models.

Reply To Post

32. by chalazon
          (547 posts)

16 years ago

Reply To Post

33. by chalazon
          (547 posts)

16 years ago

dear mr, symbol..my mommy has nothing to do with this..it occurs to me that you may well be the one behaving like a ten year old. maybe you could grow up abit..start behaving like a mature adult and spare us all from these obsequious ravings...love ya bro...

Reply To Post

34. by saxxsymbol
          (217 posts)

16 years ago

Have a Happy Fourth every body. Please be safe and be kind to your neighbors.

Reply To Post

35. by JBTSAX
          (364 posts)

16 years ago

Be kind to your neighbors? This is what Chuck White aka saxxsymbol wrote to me in a PM on another forum. "Hey John, maybe when I am in your area I will stop by and say hi. 180 W. 20th N., I believe. Would love to meet you. Your shilling for all thing Cannonball is even more amusing. You seem to love to pick fights and have an unhealthy fixation on a movie character that attracts young folks, tweeners, mostly. For someone your age it makes me suspicious. Especially when you like to work with the young. I don't suspect your students or whoever hires you to teach their students would appreciate the drug reference post that was deleted. I also suspect that you may not be the kindly gentleman you profess to be. Your latest response is proof of that. saxxsymbol" It is well known on this other forum that Goodson is called Voldemort or He Who Must Not Be Named. It is also well known that I have a history of battling Voldemort on other forums---hence my choice of the Harri Potter avitar I use on that forum. For you Chuck White to insinuate in this fashion that I am attracted sexually to young children because of a picture in an avatar is unconscionable. Steve Goodson has made the same slanderous statement in other forums which you picked up on and repeated by your own admission. Please be kind to your neighbors? How about following that admonition yourself both in public and in private.

Reply To Post

36. by saxxsymbol
          (217 posts)

16 years ago

LET IT OUT JOHN. JUST LET IT ALL OUT. A GOOD CRY AND YOU WILL FEEL BETTER. iF YOU WANT TO TALK HORNS OKAY, BUT LET IT GO, PLEASE.

Reply To Post

37. by JBTSAX
          (364 posts)

16 years ago

I haven't read any of your posts on www.saxnation.com/forum yet. You would really fit in with Steve's minions and sockpuppets. You could even attack me in the "John Talcott Troll" thread where I can't respond like Steve Goodson does pretending to be at least 6 different people. www.saxnation.com/forumviewtopic.php?t=431 Read the title of this thread and then your first few posts. You bait me and attack me with your false accusations and innuendos and then you want me to just "LET IT GO" when I respond. Stupid sarcasm is a poor substitute for meaningful comments Chuck. Are you running out of ways to attack and insult me? Like I said join Saxnation and you will get a lot of inspiration in that environment.

Reply To Post

38. by JBTSAX
          (364 posts)

16 years ago

P.S. I wanted to "talk horns" Chuck. That's why I started this thread. Duh.

Reply To Post

39. by JBTSAX
          (364 posts)

16 years ago

P.P.S. Here's a link that works. www.saxnation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=431

Reply To Post

40. by saxxsymbol
          (217 posts)

16 years ago

Like I said in a different thread I was trying to give you a taste of your own medicine. I don't think you liked it either as you sent me a pm to make nice. Have a great life John. I'll be back sooner than you think over at SOTW !!

Reply To Post

41. by JBTSAX
          (364 posts)

16 years ago

And if you keep playing the Steve Goodson surrogate roll over there you will be gone sooner than you think too. : )

Reply To Post

42. by jamterry
          (573 posts)

16 years ago

a cannonball isn't vintage. that's like the les paul guitars to which false aging enhancement was applied. i bought my horns brand new in 1966, and now they are considered vinatage. dowes anyone here play saxophone?

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

43. by Tranesyadaddy
          (279 posts)

16 years ago

they're 2008 vintage.

Reply To Post

44. by JBTSAX
          (364 posts)

16 years ago

If you play one, you will see that they sound and feel much like the best of the "vintage" Mark VI's. The dark gold lacquer is reminiscent of the older horns and even the case is modeled after the early Selmer cases. I started this thread in this category in a "tongue in cheek" fashion. Of course a sax produced in 2008 isn't a real vintage instrument by definition. I strongly suspect that by their popularity and the way they are made they will be "vintage" in 40 years. John

Reply To Post

45. by saxismyaxe
          (575 posts)

16 years ago

I have to say Symbol, If you aren't SG, you certainly are a one man band and barker hyping everything he makes/says/does. I hope you are getting compensated for this shameless promotion, although the methods used don't exactly show SG in any better light than he is able to muster for himself. I understand there are two sides to every coin, but your's seems to be resting deep in the pocket of your master's.

Reply To Post

46. by saxxsymbol
          (217 posts)

16 years ago

hey saxismyaxe, have you read my posting history over at SOTW back when I bought my yamahas or my jody jazz stuff? You think they were paying me too? When I really like som thing I get passionate about it and I react. I own my own business because of passion. Read my history before you accuse me of just promoting Goodson products. His is just the latest I have used and liked. Your own bias is clear and you have very right to it. I guess the threads over at yourp lace that go on and on about cannonball and barones would be considered extreme excess shameless promotion. I hope Barone treats you guys right since it is the only place he hawks his horns, which I like, BTW. No I am a real live mediocre sax player who really likes these and will tell anybody. My tech does too. Give him a call. He has been at Carlton for over 20 years, Carlton has been in business serving all of central florida for over 60 years, how is that for a track record. They are the largest independent music store in Florida and they never heard of Steve Goodson or his horns or SOTW. However, they are all too familiar with Cannonball , LA Sax, and all the other name brnad Taiwian horns. His words were this is the best independent make horns he has seen or played ever. And that it stood up to their own personal quality horns. I didn't ask what they play. Call him for yourself. Don't accuse me of anything that you don't have a clue about. I don't know Steve or any of his dealers and I am not compensated in any way shape or form. Are you paid at SOTW?

Reply To Post

47. by saxismyaxe
          (575 posts)

16 years ago

The SOTW board has nothing to do with this, my observations about your broken record posting and agenda is my own. None of the staff on SOTW is paid, and frankly we don't need to be. As a matter of fact, for integrity sake, I have turned down many an offer of free products to demo and/or keep just to keep it "kosher".

Reply To Post

48. by saxismyaxe
          (575 posts)

16 years ago

BTW, I'm a part time gigging musician and sax collector, and not a full time pro either. Albeit with 30+ years experience. For those who seem to feel that only a name pro is worthy of being a Moderator/Administrator, I doubt Phil Woods or Sonny Rollins would have the time, inclination or interest in babysitting a forum board of any kind. Phil does not even moderate his OWN board.

Reply To Post

49. by saxxsymbol
          (217 posts)

16 years ago

I never questioned yours or anyone else's expertise on sax nor would I care if the moderators could play or not unless they were giving advice on the subject. Why didn't you jump on me when I was singing the praises of Yamahas? or Jody Jazz mouthpieces? you see why I am upset. I have reviewed all off these glowingly. Nobody attacked me or accused me of being Jody. Don't blame this on Goodson. How many folks have walked away from the forum because of the same unfounded attacks? I know from reading histories John has run off a few that we know of. Ask Al Stevens if I am real, ask Kelsey from here. Both have seen me and heard me play. I like the horns and there is a lot of misinformation out there about the horns . I would be the same if it was a yamaha or any other thing I passionately liked. Folks are complicated, we shouldn't judge them so narrowly. Judge strangers with the same kindness you would with a family member you loved warts and all. Don't judge me because I bought SG horns and love them. You might get mad at a family member if he or she bought an SG but would you really harbor resentment like you seem to to me.

Reply To Post

50. by JBTSAX
          (364 posts)

16 years ago

Hey Chuck. Has your tech at Carlton played a Big Bell Stone Series Cannonball yet? How about a Vintage Cannonball? You know the one that is the topic of this thread. John

Reply To Post

51. by JBTSAX
          (364 posts)

16 years ago

Hey Chuck. Has your tech at Carlton played a Big Bell Stone Series Cannonball yet? How about a Vintage Cannonball? You know the one that is the topic of this thread. John

Reply To Post

52. by JBTSAX
          (364 posts)

16 years ago

Does anyone else hear an echo? : )

Reply To Post

53. by saxxsymbol
          (217 posts)

16 years ago

I don't know if he has played the newest ones yet. I will ask when I see him again ( it is a 50 minute drive ) or you can give him a ring if you like. I have seen several videos of players using them that sounded great. Sorry i went on but I was responding to sax. Been at the beach for a few day at my sister's time share. Felt great. Life is good. Missed you, John. I see you have been bad at alt. music.

Reply To Post

54. by saxxsymbol
          (217 posts)

16 years ago

Since you brought it up my tech described Cannonballs as a company that took the same Taiwan chassis as LA SAX and others and added a big bell and put their name on it, hyped the horn with great ads and it took off. A medium duty horn at best. Not quite a stencil but not really an original design. I think the vintage series just goes back to the smaller bell that was meant for the chassis and of course plays better. Nothing new or original there.

Reply To Post

55. by saxismyaxe
          (575 posts)

16 years ago

I will not go into detail about SOTW concerns on another forum, nor will I discuss private matters dealing with your account history there. You and I both know the real reason why the owner gave you a bit of time off. Enough said there. I quite adequately reiterated the reasons why this topic is treated as it is in Al's thread.

Reply To Post

56. by saxismyaxe
          (575 posts)

16 years ago

The above sums up all I have to say on the matter Symbol. Email or PM me if you would like to discuss this further.

Reply To Post

57. by saxxsymbol
          (217 posts)

16 years ago

You jumped right in this thread on me. If it was a fight it would have been a sucker punch from the crowd. Sorry if you are put off by my response, but it was not unprovoked. I have said nothing about why I was banned, nor have I implied it. I asked why you were jumping me?

Reply To Post

58. by JBTSAX
          (364 posts)

16 years ago

Both you and your unnamed tech are woefully misinformed about the Cannonball brand, but you have a right to your opinion even if it is not based on fact and slanted by your obvious bias. By the way have you ever noticed that I have never put down the Goodson saxes, only the dishonest person they represent. Have you told Grumps yet that you think he is trying to attract children because of his cute little troll doll avatar? Missed you Sunday. Were you in church perhaps?

Reply To Post