Saxophone Forum

by jjquirante
(2 posts)
16 years ago

Need Help: Buescher Aristocrat VS Conn Transitional

I need help, I'm about to purchase a second hand Alto sax. I haven't played a sax before and I'm afraid to make the wrong choice. These are my only options based on what's locally available at a vintage shop: 1) C.G. Conn Transition serial: m247089 (247XXX is around 1931) Gold in the inside but outside, its silver plated. The seller said the owner had it re-plated. The plating is not the shiny type. I'm not sure what the treatment is called. From what I saw, the engravings became a little less distinguishable because of the replating. I'm not sure if that is a bad thing. I asked the seller to play it, and as soon as he did, i noticed a very rich and dark sound compared to the buescher below. I was hoping to find a silver sax when I decided to look for one, and I really like the tone of this one. When I told the seller I I'm new to this, he recommended the Buescher below instead of this one because he said the Conn is harder to blow. I would buy this one right away, but the fact that It was replated worries me. I did not see any signs of resoldering. PROS: I like the color, I like the dark sound especially in the lower registers CONS: Replated (not sure of this is infact a bad thing) 2) Buescher Aristocrat serial: 465922 (i think this means it was made between 1965-1970 pero hindi ko sure hehe) This one looks very well maintained (or unused). The sound is brighter and less dark (not sure if I'm describing it properly). It seems like it is in good condition. I found no engravings in this one. The color is bright gold - I think lacquer is that you call it. I know from research that this is also a good brand, but the fact that I have another option (Conn - where I like the sound and instrument's color) makes me real torn between the two. Aside from the fact that the seller recommended this one. PROS: Looks like this was well maintained since there are no major scratches This was the one that was recommended to me because the seller said its easier to blow - which is good for beginners CONS: Sound is brighter compared to Conn especially in the higher registers, and I prefer a darker sound The two horns are priced exactly the same. Need help from choosing which one of the two :( Looking forward to learning to play soon! Thanks in advance! smiley

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by blackfrancis
    (396 posts)

16 years ago

Re: Need Help: Buescher Aristocrat VS Conn Transitional

The Conn, without a doubt. It's a pro level horn as opposed to the student model Buescher. Having much experience with both horns (my first sax was a Buescher like the one described, and my present alto is a transitional Conn), I can tell you that while the Buescher isn't a bad horn to learn on, a well set up Conn tranny is extraordinary. One thing that is of concern- a Conn in good repair should not be "harder to blow". Just to be sure, maybe a trip to a reliable tech that knows vintage horns would be in order.

Reply To Post

1. by cuber
      (653 posts)

16 years ago

conn. if you like the sound better, go with it. the only thing the replating might effect is the resale value, and if you ever think of selling the conn (if you buy it, that is) let me know=) just cerious, how much does he want for the conn? heres a link to a good review of a later version of the horn www.shwoodwind.co.uk/Reviews/Saxes/Alto/Conn_6M.htm if the buescher was a "top hat and cane" model, the decision might be a little more difficult

Reply To Post

1. by jjquirante
        (2 posts)

16 years ago

Thank you everyone for the valuable tips. I am leaning towards the Conn. they are both USD $500.00

Reply To Post

1. by cuber
          (653 posts)

16 years ago

COME ON! WHY CANT I EVER FIND DEALS LIKE THAT? (the conn normally goes for around $2000, depending on condition)

Reply To Post