Saxophone Forum

by BeccaB
(1 post)
16 years ago

What's the difference between different vintage Selmers?

Hi, I'm in the process of buying my first real saxophone; I've been playing for about 7 years and have had some major sax trouble. A few years ago I bought a Norton (biggest mistake ever); I have completed my Higher School certificate (Australia's final year of school) with this saxophone. It was resently damaged when travelling with a marching band and has been written off. For the past 3 months I have been playing a saxophone that was bought for a student that has quit; $200 from ebay kind of quality. I know. Gross. I am now making a major upgrade. I have settled on a vintage selmer as I am looking for that big, fat, full Jazz sax sound. But what sort of Selmer should I get? I keep seeing Mark VI and Super Balanced Action; what are the pros and cons between them or should I be looking at another Selmer? Would really like to hear what experienced players think and what the would do. Thank You

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by foxplayer
    (7 posts)

16 years ago

Re: What's the difference between different vintage Selmers?

Reply To Post

2. by foxplayer
    (7 posts)

16 years ago

I have been playing vintage Selmers for years and i like both Balanced Action & Super Balanced Actions the best .

Reply To Post

3. by WinstonWolf
    (3 posts)

14 years ago

I have had several 8xxxx Mark VI, a 34xxx SBA and several BA tenors. They were all great technically. All I have left is 4 BA tenors. That's all I have to say in a way... Pros and cons are very relative the actual horn you find...

Reply To Post

1. by kelsey
      (930 posts)

14 years ago

I love the Mark Vl for my purposes but I don't play in a Marching Band. If I were you and were playing while walking outside, I wouldn't consider a vintage horn. Get a Yamaha. For Marching any model will do. I would probably go for the YTS62ll.....Kelsey
      Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM