Saxophone Forum

by bstowers
(2 posts)
15 years ago

Information on old Conn Tenor Sax

I have an old Conn Tenor sax that I would like some help on. I am trying to find out the age, where it was made and how much it might be worth. The only markings on the back are 16m and the serial number 856576. It looks like the word Conn is on the bell possibly with stars.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by chalazon
    (547 posts)

15 years ago

Re: Information on old Conn Tenor Sax

where's jbt when we really need him?

Reply To Post

2. by saxismyaxe
    (575 posts)

15 years ago

You have a Conn 16M Director (commonly nicknamed "Shooting Star" due to the bell engraving) student model Tenor sax manufactured in 1960/61. Although opinions on the qualities or lack thereof regarding this model vary, yours was made before, or just during the fateful years in which they moved production of their student model horn production from Elkhart, IN to Nogales, AZ. Fingers crossed that yours was made in IN rather than the degraded quality of the AZ plant, as these are the better of models of the bunch, such as they are.

Reply To Post

1. by bstowers
      (2 posts)

15 years ago

I'm not trying to be dumb but how do I know if it was made in the US or if it was made in Mexico? I can not find any marking to let me know either way. I might not be looking in the correct area. I have read up a little on the age...but what made the ones in Mexico so lousy. I do have my fingers crossed that it was made in IN, I would just like to know for sure.

Reply To Post

1. by saxismyaxe
        (575 posts)

15 years ago

By the date of manufacture. Conn moved their production of student level horns from IN to AZ (not Mexico...yet) during the 1960 to 1961 time frame. The likelihood is that it was made at the newly acquired, BEST MANUFACTURING PLANT in Nogales AZ since it dates to this period. In the early 1970's, production moved to Mexico, and the horns were so marked. These are the horn often derogatorily nicknamed Mexi-Conns, that garner so little respect due to decrepit manufacturing and quality control. I wouldn't worry too much about the likelihood that it is not an Elkhart made horn. It is a student model, and the early ones (including yours) are still better than the later versions.

Reply To Post