Saxophone Forum

by SirToasty
(1 post)
15 years ago

Vintage Conn ID

My neighbor came upon a vintage Conn Alto Sax and I need some help in identifying it. It is identical to the horn in this link. www.saxquest.com/productDetails.asp?productcode=270128ConnAlto Serial number is M258565A. I have not found the significance of the A at the end of the sn. Other than that A and the sn itself, all stampings and engravings are the same. The neck sn is No. 1308903 on the micro tuner with STD'D M on the neck itself. The STD'D may actually be PTD'D but it is worn off and is difficult to see. The horn appears to be in good condition when looking at it but it has many leaks and very old pads. It doesn't play to well as it is. It would be wonderful if someone could nail down a date and worth for this horn.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxjunkie89
    (393 posts)

15 years ago

Re: Vintage Conn ID

It was manufactured in 1969. This was after the Selmer buyout of all of the Elkhart/Elkhorn brands buyout, and production of Conns had moved to Mexico.

Reply To Post

1. by saxismyaxe
      (575 posts)

15 years ago

Only Conn's student line of horns were moved at this point to the old BEST MANUFACTURING Plant in Nogales, AZ, not Mexico (Mexico production was down the road, in the 1970s). The pro "Artist" model horns such as this one were still being made in the Elkhart, IN plant.

Reply To Post

1. by saxjunkie89
        (393 posts)

15 years ago

Oh, ok. Sorry for misleading information.

Reply To Post