Saxophone Forum

by megepj
(2 posts)
15 years ago

Conn Ltd Sax - is it worth fixing up?

Hi - I just got a sax from my cousin since my daughter wants to learn sax. I know nothing about them, as she plays the oboe. The sax says Patd. Dec 9, 1914, 1119954 A M242938 L - is it worth taking it in and getting it fixed up? Do you know what year it was made? Is it the dreaded 1969 I was reading about since it starts with M? My daughter just wants to learn so she can play in marching band in high school. The sax looks old, but I was able to pop on a read and get some notes out (I played the flute, so no real talent!). Is the quality worth it, or should I hunt for a student model on eBay. Thanks for the help!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by blackfrancis
    (396 posts)

15 years ago

Re: Conn Ltd Sax - is it worth fixing up?

That would be 1930 or 31- great years for Conn saxes. A pro level horn. Do have it overhauled by someone who really knows their stuff with vintage horns. It will be well worth it. DO NOT ALLOW IT TO GO TO MARCHING BAND IN ANY WAY, SHAPE OR FORM. Get a "beater" for that. Congrats and good luck!

Reply To Post

1. by cuber
      (653 posts)

15 years ago

good sax + marching band=pissed off sax players, because marching SERIOUSLY screws up horns. thats a good horn

Reply To Post

1. by megepj
        (2 posts)

15 years ago

Thank you for the information! I will now start the search for someone qualified. I live in the Detroit area if anyone knows of someone around here, or how I might go about finding someone! If I fix this up, and then get her a beater for marching band, can you recommend an inexpensive horn that's good? I have a year to look for it, as she won't be in marching band until then. Thank you again!

Reply To Post

1. by chalazon
          (547 posts)

15 years ago

find a Yamaha yta 23 in good shape..can't go wrong..

Reply To Post