Saxophone Forum

by Devanmyson
(4 posts)
15 years ago

CAN ANYONE HELP ME?!?!?!?! DOES THIS SITE WORK?!?!

I'm getting so (apparently) useless,misinformed information about my Saxophone I'm starting to think nobody knows what they are talking about,I'm sorry if that sounds rude,not tryin to be at all,just frustrated. I Have a York Saxophone and was told by my dad who used to play, it was an Alto. Then I had another guy tell me if I measured it to from bow to end and it's 24 inches it's a "C" melody. Now I have someone questioning that and saying it's a Tenor!! I need help!! Is there anyone out there that really knows what the correct answer is?? Serial # 84352 York Grand Rapids Thank you so much

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Saxhog2
    (11 posts)

15 years ago

Re: CAN ANYONE HELP ME?!?!?!?! DOES THIS SITE WORK?!?!

If the horn w/o the neck is 24", it's a c-melody. They also have a neck much like a tenor, "s" shaped. Altos have a straight tube with an angle less than 90 degrees before the tenon which goes into the reciever of the sax. Alto's are around 22" long w/o the neck. York produced band instruments, saxes included. Had a number of owners. Can't comment on the quality, never owned one and have never read or heard anyone rave about them. Try this link for more info:

Reply To Post

2. by chalazon
    (547 posts)

15 years ago

yep, we're all abuncha dummies..the serial number alone isn't going to tell us much as to whether alto/tenor/C Melody, etc, we'll need a few more clues. York is probably not our favorite kind of horn, which is why we're not all jumping up and down trying to feed you info..and there is really only one of us here anyway..I just use a number of assumed names in an effort to keep myself amused.

Reply To Post

1. by Devanmyson
      (4 posts)

15 years ago

HUH,Well I assumed there weren't a bunch of dummies here,that's why I came to you(guys?).The sax is 24 inches from bow to top where mouth piece section comes off(sorry my saxophone vanacular is brain dead)That top section has a curve to it,it isn't straight. I've been hit with everything from Alto ,"c" Melody,tenor, can you help me please? A Value too maybe? Thank you, Sincerely, KING OF THE DUMMIES,LOL Jason

Reply To Post

1. by chalazon
        (547 posts)

15 years ago

look in the area where the serial number is engraved. You may see the letter"L". that stands for low pitch. You may possibly see a "C", or"A" or "T". This would tell you the type of horn. If this is not the case, I suggest you take your horn to a repair technician who should e able to tell you instantly the type of sax. These horns are not terribly valuable..they are considered obsolete, and are not in demand..that said, you can always go e-bay..who knows, maybe someone out there has just gotta have it.

Reply To Post

1. by cuber
          (653 posts)

15 years ago

obsolete? there are a crapload of horns that are concidered obsolete the are in high demand. that being said, york is not a type of sax in high demand. were they stencils? i dont think alot of people know much about yorks, and we try not talk about what we dont know. emphasis on try. yea, a repair guy SHOULD be able to tell you.

Reply To Post

2. by kelsey
          (930 posts)

15 years ago

Obsolete to these collector dukes could mean valuble? Personally I wouldn't give you a dime for a York anything, but that's just me..........Kelsey
          Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

3. by chalazon
          (547 posts)

15 years ago

yes, Cube, there are a "crap' load of horns considered obsolete that are considered to be valuable. The C melody does not happen to be one. The saxello, or the F alto , yes..the C melody..no... And , yes, Kelsey, I ,too , would not give a dime for anything with York punched on th e bell..but what do I know? I'm from Boise, for ,Pete's sake.......that would be Christlieb...

Reply To Post

4. by cuber
          (653 posts)

15 years ago

hey, i never said i would bu a york, just that there are some horns which have been "improved" that id buy the original chalzon- please excuse the vernacular

Reply To Post

5. by chalazon
          (547 posts)

15 years ago

vernacular excused.

Reply To Post