Saxophone Forum

by Mikey 724
(1 post)
15 years ago

HELP!!! Got A SAX, Need some history on this Axe.

I just picked up a C.G. Conn, Ltd, Alto Sax at a yard sale for $50. She is gonna need a Complete rebuild, pads, cleaning, springs, and replace two lower missing keys. The serial number is: A 33112 L. The closest I can find, is it might be a 1895/1896 manufacture OR a 1914/1916. I REALLY need to find a reputable dealer in the Phoenix, AZ area. This is to be a SURPRISE Birthday present for my Daughter, who plays (I'm SERIOUSLY TONE DEAF and cannot play) but I've got some serious time constraints here. HELP!!!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Tom Pearson
    (5 posts)

15 years ago

Re: HELP!!! Got A SAX, Need some history on this Axe.

Your sax is from 1914-16 era, probably silver plated. If the parts are missing things will be difficult at best. A complete rebuild without missing parts is at least $450 and up plus the parts replacement and you still have a old sax that has intonation problems among other things. I know as I have a Conn tenor 3337X of the same period that I have played for the past 55 years. At the time I got it my family was poor and that was the best we could do. For what you are going to pay to repair the sax, you could add some more $ and get her a more modern, used sax. The old horns just handicap you too much. My grandson wanted to play my old tenor (he loves the nickle plated look it has) but his sax teacher told he and his mother to get a newer sax as he would be handicapped. So he now has a Yamaha YT23. Be advised!!!! Tom

Reply To Post

1. by cuber
      (653 posts)

15 years ago

Re: HELP!!! Got A SAX, Need some history on this Axe.

valid points, compared to modern horns at least, but the old ones sound differently than anything made today. and they are a blast to play. in my opinion, older horns have alot of things that modern horns dont. its hard to explain to people who have played both, but i think this might help www.jazzbarisax.com/brands.php#vintage

Reply To Post