Saxophone Forum

by Bobthebassman
(4 posts)
15 years ago

Can anyone help ID this horn?

G'day Crew, found this horn in a dodgy music shop (read guitar shop) window in a country town out in western Victoria. I can't work out what it is and I'm trying to see if it's worth buying. Details are: Alto sax, micro tuner on neck, rolled tone holes, cross hatching on the G# key, "The Melody" engraved diagonally across the bell, the number '5C' and '21658' stamped onto the body where the neck goes in, no other markings/stampings on the horn. Here are some photo links: img150.imageshack.us/img150/3168/27012009043do5.jpg img403.imageshack.us/img403/6625/27012009040ae5.jpg img150.imageshack.us/img150/1700/27012009039cn0.jpg img156.imageshack.us/img156/1426/27012009044gu2.jpg Any help would be greatly appreciated! Cheers! Garrick

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by cuber
    (653 posts)

15 years ago

Re: Can anyone help ID this horn?

transitional conn 6m. The melody engraved? havent heard of that before. if its a stencil they would have taken the microtuner and rolled tone holes off. how much do they want for it?

Reply To Post

1. by Bobthebassman
      (4 posts)

15 years ago

They're asking $400AUD for it. It's unplayable at the moment. It'll need a complete pad and felt job but the concerning thing is that someone has done an appaling job of re-soldering one of the post and it looks like it may have burnt through one of the tone holes. Of interest is the micro tuner: the barrel looks entirely different to a standard Conn design. And the complete lack of manufacturers stamps. I just don't know if it's worth getting.

Reply To Post

1. by Bobthebassman
        (4 posts)

15 years ago

The photo links were bad so here are the right ones: img150.imageshack.us/my.php?image=27012009043do5.jpg" target="other">img150.imageshack.us/my.php?image=27012009043do5.jpg img150.imageshack.us/my.php?image=27012009039cn0.jpg

Reply To Post

1. by cuber
          (653 posts)

15 years ago

burnt through the tone hole? wow, thats bad. its definatly a conn, but you said the neck was different? thats weird, since conn was the only maker to put them on their horns, and the only place i know of to have the neck with a microtuner redone is gloger. in other words, if its unplayable, no, dont get it. if it can be salvaged, it might be worth it.

Reply To Post

2. by Bobthebassman
          (4 posts)

15 years ago

Tis a strange beast. Would Conn have produced any horns without stamping their name on it? The tone hole concerns me but it's one of those things that I won't know if it's beyond repair until I buy the thing and strip it down. Also with the microtuner, every other Conn I've seen has got 2 knurls on the barrel, this one has 3. Whether that is of any significance I don't know, but it seems odd that there is that sort of difference along with some of the other odd things that this horn has eg the lack of brands/stamps/manufacturing info. I've been searching the internet since I first saw the horn and I can't find any reference to "The Melody" anywhere. Ahhh the confusion of it all...

Reply To Post

3. by Saxhog2
          (11 posts)

15 years ago

Sounds like a Kohlert/Keilwerth/Graslitz stencilled horn. They made horns with micro tuners and rolled tone holes. I know some of their stencilled horns came with rolled tone holes but micro tuners, I have only seen on horns with their actual name on it. But these guys stencilled for a lot of companys which is why I think this is one of their's. Is there a Made in Germany stamp on it? I haven't seen your photos, didn't want to subscribe to download.

Reply To Post