Saxophone Forum

by Smitty54
(5 posts)
15 years ago

Gold Buescher True Tone Alto

I recently picked up a very original gold plated True Tone alto, that appeared to be virtually new - seemed to have the original pads and looks like it went into it's case in the late 20s and stayed there. I dissaasembled the horn for repadding and a plug fell out of the upper body of the horn. It's got a lovely decal label of the Buescher trademark with True Tone across it, and looks like a bottle cap. It seems to be a cap for the end of the neck, which it fits snugly. There is a separate original plug for the neck joint on the body. Has anyone seen this before? Also, I haven't played a True Tone and I wonder what other's experiences have been with this horn. Ron

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Smitty54
    (5 posts)

15 years ago

Re: Gold Buescher True Tone Alto

Well, nobody responded, but I did find answers to the questions, so I'll post them for posterity. The cap is actually an original Buescher cork grease container - it's just coincidence that it perfectly fits the neck tenon. No telling how it would up in the horn. Thanks Matt at Music Medic for the information. I repadded the 1925 horn with Roo pads, retaining the original snaps, but cementing the pads for stability. The horn plays beautifully. The ergonomics are not that of Selmer sba, but it's actually easier in some ways than my 41 Conn 6m, especially the low left pinky keys. It sounds very good, a bit brighter than the Conn, a few minor intonation issues, some of which I can address with setup. There is no altissimo F key, but I guess that's what sopranos are for. Ron

Reply To Post